Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

help lifting a 99 prerunner

Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
carlos028 is on a distinguished road
carlos028's Tacoma Gallery
help lifting a 99 prerunner

Hi, Im basically new to this site, trying to learn more about my truck. I think my truck is whack being stock especially when ima 6 ft 3in tall college student looking like an old man in it. and im looking to lift it and get some new tires. I dont really know much about lifting and im just looking for some help on the issue. thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
it really depends on what you want to do with the truck once it's lifted (cosmetic? or rock crawling?) and how much you want to spend... each option has it's pros and cons.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
just looks for now. like i said im a college student so i have to be smart with my money but i really want to improve my trucks appearance to something of normal lift
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
you'll prob want something like this then, not going to have much (if any) performance gains but it will look better than stock

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53
Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from the spacer lifts. The ones that use a top plate hurt your U joints, and IF you ever go off road, they can cause your suspension to over extend, possibly resulting in a broken shock....thus a tow truck ride home.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
alright cool. just wondering, i understand that there are high performance kits for off roading but what about just for driving? i also was thinking for something more w/o a diff drop
Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
How much are you willing to spend? Anything over 3" and you will need a diff drop to save your CVs joints.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i think an OME setup would be good for him dont you chris
Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
im willing to go up to $300 depending on what im getting, i dont just want some spacers, the rest for some new bigger tires. but thats my problem idk how many inches to lift and like you said going over 3 will require a diff drop, so i wondering what is best: to go under or over 3? especially when im not gonna off roading. whatever looks good and is a solid lift for my money
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos028 View Post
im willing to go up to $300 depending on what im getting, i dont just want some spacers, the rest for some new bigger tires. but thats my problem idk how many inches to lift and like you said going over 3 will require a diff drop, so i wondering what is best: to go under or over 3? especially when im not gonna off roading. whatever looks good and is a solid lift for my money
I dont think a diff drop is needed....As you are a Prerunner, you dont have a front diff to drop. That being said, Anytime you lift, something else is gonna be changed for the worse if not done correctly. You can throw a 3" lift on pretty cheap, but now your shocks are no longer up to the dampening demands needed by the new springs, or the newly compressed/pre loaded springs. AND, your suspension geometry is now off, and the truck will suffer more bump steer affect, and wander. For your budget, Get the Bilstien 5100 shocks. They will give a 2.5" lift up fornt. They use your existing sorings, and can be updated with an adjustable coller, and new Eibach springs down the raod, if you ever decide. For less than $300.00, you can get 4 new shocks, front and rear, that blow away the OEM shocks on your truck. As you have a '99, you may need new shocks anyway.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i think an OME setup would be good for him dont you chris
OME is good for EVERYBODY!!!! but its much mroe money.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I dont think a diff drop is needed....As you are a Prerunner, you dont have a front diff to drop. That being said, Anytime you lift, something else is gonna be changed for the worse if not done correctly. You can throw a 3" lift on pretty cheap, but now your shocks are no longer up to the dampening demands needed by the new springs, or the newly compressed/pre loaded springs. AND, your suspension geometry is now off, and the truck will suffer more bump steer affect, and wander. For your budget, Get the Bilstien 5100 shocks. They will give a 2.5" lift up fornt. They use your existing sorings, and can be updated with an adjustable coller, and new Eibach springs down the raod, if you ever decide. For less than $300.00, you can get 4 new shocks, front and rear, that blow away the OEM shocks on your truck. As you have a '99, you may need new shocks anyway.
i guess ill look into your advice. thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
used coilovers are going for cheap on sites like craigslist, look into it, might find a good deal on some good coilovers
Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
go bilstein 5100"s i beleive ebay has a brand new set for front and rear for around $275
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Quote:
I dont think a diff drop is needed....As you are a Prerunner, you dont have a front diff to drop. That being said, Anytime you lift, something else is gonna be changed for the worse if not done correctly. You can throw a 3" lift on pretty cheap, but now your shocks are no longer up to the dampening demands needed by the new springs, or the newly compressed/pre loaded springs. AND, your suspension geometry is now off, and the truck will suffer more bump steer affect, and wander. For your budget, Get the Bilstien 5100 shocks. They will give a 2.5" lift up fornt. They use your existing springs, and can be updated with an adjustable coller, and new Eibach springs down the raod, if you ever decide. For less than $300.00, you can get 4 new shocks, front and rear, that blow away the OEM shocks on your truck. As you have a '99, you may need new shocks anyway.
so if i buy the bilstein shocks, they dont come with an adjustable coiler but they can still be added to the shocks in the future? i thought they came hand in hand.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
so if i buy the bilstein shocks, they dont come with an adjustable coiler but they can still be added to the shocks in the future? i thought they came hand in hand.
they have an adjustable spring perch. they can be adjusted to 3 positions over stock. you can ad a threaded adjusting coller to them, and different springs down the line.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Quote:
they have an adjustable spring perch. they can be adjusted to 3 positions over stock. you can ad a threaded adjusting coller to them, and different springs down the line.
so the bilistein 5100 shocks are a nice improvement on performance over my oem's, and they provide the reasonable lift height for regular driving on my stock tacoma? while coilovers are more expensive bcz they are adjustable and can be retuned but for my situation, theyre just not worht it at first?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
go bilstein 5100"s i beleive ebay has a brand new set for front and rear for around $275
thanks im looking into it, just quick question though: they say its for 6 lug vehicles only, what does that have to do with it?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #19
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Taco 5 lug (minis) and 6 lug (4x4 and PreRunners) have very different suspensions thus for the differentiation.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
KYREBEL is on a distinguished road
KYREBEL's Tacoma Gallery
my 99' Prerunner has a daystar 2.5 or 3 in. lift which consists of add a leafs in rear and the coil spring spacers for front and also came with poly. sway bar bushings, shock boots, front and rear bump stops, and it was only $130 and i have 32-11.50 15's on stock 15x7 rims and they never rub at all