Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What is the BEST of the 1st

Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
I like my 98, but the 01-04's have slightly nicer interiors. Wouldn't mind one of those.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
The one thing I don't like about my '03 is the ABS. Otherwise, love it.
How about an ABS kill switch? I just started looking into how to do this the other day. So far I've found a bunch of info for 2nd Gens. But nothing yet on my '03.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
TooDrunkToTasteThisChicke n
TotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TotesMagotes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
2001 because I have one and its the first year of the DOuble Cabs

I second this.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
How about an ABS kill switch? I just started looking into how to do this the other day. So far I've found a bunch of info for 2nd Gens. But nothing yet on my '03.
My issue with the ABS on mine is that it has a habit of kicking on while I'm braking going into a turn on dry pavement. Not sure a kill switch is the appropriate solution.

I've never found a write-up on a kill switch for the 1st Gens. Some peeps have outright removed it. It isn't that hard. Just need some brakeline couplers from a pre-ABS model. I've considered this but hesitant to defeat "safety features" for insurance purposes. One of these days I'll do it and probably pop my airbags at the same time.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
1985. Solid axle and fuel injection.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice02goldie is just really nice

Name: Brock
02goldie's Tacoma Gallery
01-04. the front end looks better imo. plus double cab!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma04 View Post
What year? The one you own!
Why? Pride of ownership!
This.
I think the 95-97's look the best out of all of them.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
I loved my 95.5 Tacoma SX. The 2.7L wasn't the ballsiest, but it couldn't be killed. With a set of long tube headers and custom exhaust it really performed. The SX was geared perfectly for 32-33" tires. Manual everything w/ 5-speed. What a great little truck!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree with the 02, even though I have an 03.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #30
Bahamayellow is on a distinguished road
Bahamayellow's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the 2001-2004. Mine is a 2002 and people on the road I run into think these are the best looking body styles out of the tacoma even the current ones. Bought it brand new for 20k and still runs great 11 years later. I can't complain.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
Changeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Changeling's Tacoma Gallery
It's surprising how basically we all feel the same about the gen 1's, some like the BULL nose grill and some like the horizontal grill bars and other things that are not what one would call earth shattering
I dearly loved my 1999, but the seat belt was frustrating to say the least, other than that everything was awesome. It's odd I used to be going out of the house to go wherever and look at mine and think "MAN" that thing is sharp! Sounds Dumb to some I guess.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
They are all tough as nails. I personally like the front end of the '97, but the 2001-2004 are probably the most refined/advanced.
Good point, if you study the looks of a '97 you'll notice that its look was what the 2nd gens are based off of IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
The one thing I don't like about my '03 is the ABS. Otherwise, love it.
Hate ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
I've seen nothing for a 1st gen as well
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
stikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
stikle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
It's odd I used to be going out of the house to go wherever and look at mine and think "MAN" that thing is sharp! Sounds Dumb to some I guess.
I've done the same thing. I've also opened the garage door on the way to bed to look at it and tell it how awesome it is.

I waited a lot of years for my Taco...
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's surprising how basically we all feel the same about the gen 1's, some like the BULL nose grill and some like the horizontal grill bars and other things that are not what one would call earth shattering
I dearly loved my 1999, but the seat belt was frustrating to say the least, other than that everything was awesome. It's odd I used to be going out of the house to go wherever and look at mine and think "MAN" that thing is sharp! Sounds Dumb to some I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
I've done the same thing. I've also opened the garage door on the way to bed to look at it and tell it how awesome it is.

I waited a lot of years for my Taco...

I still do.....
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
I like having manual locking hubs, saves me money. I don't use my cv's when free and I gain MPG.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #37
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
For an abs kill switch, you should be able to wire a relay to interrupt one of the wheel sensors. It should light the abs light and defeat the abs. Now when you put the sensor back in the circuit I don't know if the fault will clear and the light will go out, but you could test it by unplugging one abs sensor, let the light come on, then plug it back in, turn truck on and see if it clears. Worst case you have to hook up a code reader to it and clear the fault. And if you have to do that, then it's probably not worth it. I'd test it, but I have a 97 w/o abs.
I had a Nissan years ago with abs issues (would randomly turn abs on while braking) and I just unplugged a sensor to defeat it completely.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
TooDrunkToTasteThisChicke n
TotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shedTotesMagotes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TotesMagotes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not surprising or dumb at all. I look at my truck amongst all the other vehicles in my parking garage and it just stands out, ive had a couple people say it's the best looking truck in the lot...one of them was an owner of a Frontier.

Anyone know if there were any cosmetic changes between the years 01-04?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #39
Ritchie is on a distinguished road
Ritchie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
2002 because they are last of the purely mechanical throttle system.
I have an auto trans w/ kick down cable and a throttle cable. It's an '03.

I like the '03-'04 looks as I have an '03.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #40
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
I have an auto trans w/ kick down cable and a throttle cable. It's an '03.

I like the '03-'04 looks as I have an '03.
'03 to '04 looks identical to '01 to '02.

And like I mentioned earlier, you have an early throttle by wire system where you still have a throttle cable, but it's not physically connected to the butterfly in the throttle body.