1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blinking CEL light.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CTSupercharge, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Aug 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    CTSupercharge

CTSupercharge [OP] Member

Member:
    Conn.
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4WD SR5 V6 Supercharged
    Supercharger
    I recently went on a 280 mile (each way) trip. At about 200 miles in the Check Engine Light started blinking. There was no noticeable difference in the drive ability. Truck was driving fine. I had my scanner with me and checked for codes while I was driving. There was a random multiple misfire code, Cylinder # 2 misfire code and cylinder # 5 misfire code. I tried to clear the code but it would just go out for a second or 2 then just start blinking again. I ended up driving the rest of the 80 miles with the light flashing the entire time.

I got to my destination and the truck stayed parked for 4 days. I saw that cylinder # 2 and #5 share the same coil pack, so I figured that the coil pack went bad causing the misfire in both cylinders that are on opposite banks.
    I found an auto parts store before I left and replaced the coil pack that controls cylinder # 2 & #5, cleared the codes and the truck started and sounded and ran fine and the light stayed off. i must have fixed the problem i thought.
    I left for the 280 mile trip back home. and the same thing happened. After about 225 miles the CEL started flashing again and gave me cylinder # 2 & # 5 misfire code again, even with the new coil pack. I blank for about 35 miles then stayed on constant. I got home and cleared the code and not it is running fine with no light ......for now.

My question is why am I getting these misfire codes on cylinder 2&5 even after a new coil. AND. How come the truck is running absolutely perfect not missing a beat? No misfire was ever felt and truck has full power.

2. Aug 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
  3. Aug 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    CTSupercharge

Member:
    Conn.
    Vehicle:
    Supercharger
    already changed them recently

4. Aug 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    If the one plug wire for that coil pack is bad, those codes could be generated. In fact any bad connection in that coil's connector and/or high voltage circuit (coil, plug wire, plug, block, plug, coil = circuit) could be the culprit.
    While the coil/plug wire is off, check the plugs, they can loosen up.
    If that easy stuff fails there could be a problem with the igniter. Maybe a "heat soak" issue?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. Aug 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a hint of a thought here, and since others are chiming in on potential problems I will keep my comment to one subject. When that little CEL light starts FLASHING, that is a BAD thing. Owner manuals for every vehicle on the road will tell you if the CEL is flashing you are supposed to stop the engine because you could be causing severe damage to the engine and/or catalytic converter. Just a little FYI there.

6. Aug 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    CTSupercharge

Member:
    Conn.
    Vehicle:
    Supercharger
    ^^^I know but FYI, I was over 200 miles away from home, truck was all packed with camping gear, It was just me and my 10 year old son going on vacation in the middle of nowhere with only about 80 miles till our destination and it was getting late and close to our max time we were alowed to check in. The truck was driving totally normal so I decided to risk it.

Usually if the CEL light is flashing that means the computer recognizes a fault that is continuously happening at that very moment, that it is flashing. Usually this is seen (or I have at least experienced it when) the car has a misfire and it is missing the light will flash- but usually you can feel the miss and the car will have loss of power and stumble. I know what a miss-fire feels like and I would have felt a little something if I was dropping 2 cylinders.

7. Aug 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    mikebuyscars

mikebuyscars Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Fenton, MI
    Vehicle:
    21 Toyota Tacoma double cab TRD Off-Road Voodoo Blue
    2 inch lift
    if you check the plugs and they are tight, check your engine ground and check fuel supply. bad injector, clogged fuel line, could be running lean which causes heat build up. check your cat converter too as that could be the first thing damaged by running too lean or too rich.

Products Discussed in

To Top