Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Charcoal cannister

Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
jalers is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SSgt, Jet Engine Mechanic
jalers's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal cannister

I got a 2003 Taco 4dr prerunner, with the annoying check engine light on. Finally took it to Toyota and after changing gas cap again, they say it is a bad charcoal cannister. Don't want to pay what they want for it and I'm an average do it yourselfer. Can't find it in junkyards, so leaves me asking you guys if you have or know of a junked taco with one that I can buy? Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
check out www.rockauto.com

They have something called a vapor canister, I don't know if that's the same thing though. They have a picture of it on there, so if it looks the same I'm guessing it's the same part.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
jalers's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I guess it is the same part, but $319 that is what the dealer is asking for theres. Just let me know if anybody knows where I can get one. Thanks. Still looking.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
try advance auto pep boys places like that but the cannister is a rare item. do you fill your tace to the fullest everytime you fill up with gas
Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
jalers's Tacoma Gallery
I tried them and they all say its a dealer item. I always fill it up ontill it stops, why?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was broken as well, crack in the bottom. Honestly, it doesnt affect daily driving or performance if the CEL is on. I broke down and bought the part and installed it myself, took 3 min. The dealer wanted $80 for labor to install it, I said hell no.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
yea what does it do? Recycles gas fumes or something?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
check your owner's manual for emissions warranty. here in cali any emissions part is covered 8/80 or 10/100(years/mileage). some parts even have up to 15/150k from the factory. but it depends state by state.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.alltoyotatrucksuvparts.com/

here ya go. this place has nothin but toyotas.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's supposed to remove contaminants and moisture from crankcase gasses, so its actually a pretty important item. Without it your engine will start to sludge.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
I think it's supposed to remove contaminants and moisture from crankcase gasses, so its actually a pretty important item. Without it your engine will start to sludge.

Crankcase vents are routed to the intake manifold. The charcoal canister is for vacuum and emissions.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
the charcoal canister is for storage of fuel vapors until the ecu senses a running condition that is optimal for feeding them back to the engine.

Pulled this from the TN forums:

My check engine light came on once, also... It turned out that I had filled my tank, and then topped it off a bit more, and then drove it 2 blocks and parked it for a week while I went on vacation..
The gas expanded and filled my charcoal canister.
I had the check engine light reset by Autozone (free) and have never had the problem again..

The cure?? When the handle on the pump goes click, put the handle back on the gas pump.. I haven't attempted to over fill and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
PJDOGM is on a distinguished road
PJDOGM's Tacoma Gallery
155,000 miles on my 04 Taco. The check engine light came on and the code pointed to the charcoal cannister. I followed the advice on this post let the gas tank run down, reset the check engine light and haven't filled the tank in several hundred miles and the light is still off. The truck runs normal, gas mileage is the same. Passed the NYS emissions inspection today. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #14
WFD is on a distinguished road
WFD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
the charcoal canister is for storage of fuel vapors until the ecu senses a running condition that is optimal for feeding them back to the engine.

Pulled this from the TN forums:

My check engine light came on once, also... It turned out that I had filled my tank, and then topped it off a bit more, and then drove it 2 blocks and parked it for a week while I went on vacation..
The gas expanded and filled my charcoal canister.
I had the check engine light reset by Autozone (free) and have never had the problem again..

The cure?? When the handle on the pump goes click, put the handle back on the gas pump.. I haven't attempted to over fill and I haven't had a problem since.

OOh, this is inspiring. A friend of mine recently borrowed my truck, and (nicely) filled the tank up upon return. We went out doing some light 4 wheeling that evening and during the drive the CEL came on (p0446). I haven't messed with anything yet, just been reading the TW forums on this.

Called my friend and he said that he did in fact top off the tank that day. I will clear the code and see what happens.

Does anyone know of a way to 'blow out' or clear out the canister if the code come back on after clearing? Trying to avoid buying a new canister. Visually inspected the hoses and connections and they look good BTW.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
Archer550 is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army:
Archer550's Tacoma Gallery
car-part.com sometimes can return good parts from nearby wreckers
Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
You need to fix that. When the charcoal canister is bad, the check engine light comes on and puts your truck into "open loop" mode. You are sending in burnt fuel into your cat and loading it up. The cat will eventually fail. Catalytic filters are very expensive on our trucks. $900 expensive. after market cats won't cut it for very long.

Ask me how I know
Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
This is good to know. I was wondering what that box above the fuel tank was. Obvious question though is does it need this AND 2 cats.