Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen - Who has Leveling Kit Spacers? Ball Joint touch Spring????

Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen - Who has Leveling Kit Spacers? Ball Joint touch Spring????

I recently installed brand new Kelly Safari TSR 265/75 tires and I really need this 2.5" leveling kit to work. But when I drop the lower control arm and install the spacer, I try to reinstall and the spindle is forced downward , forcing the Ball Joint into the Spring pretty hard!!! Anyone else have or had this problem? What did you do without buying aftermarket UCA's ???
Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
you need new UCA's or you need to go lower on the lift, enough said...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
you need new UCA's or you need to go "proper" on the lift, enough said...
fixed

You can lift the front end properly (either stock springs and 5100's or eibach coils and 5100's) with stock UCA's and there will be enough clearance. I'm not familiar with spacer lifts but everything I've read on them says they are not good, throw everything out of whack...that may be your problem. I have a 3" lift in the front and when I had stock UCA's....I had zero problems.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
if you set the 5100 strut to 2.5, using stock coils or Eibachs, you may have ball to coil contact on full droop, plus proper alignment (especially caster) will be hard to achieve...it depends on the truck, some are ok, some are not...

anyway, spacer lifts are not the way to go...I would imagine you installed blocks in the rear, not an AAL? This can lead to problems too..

not all lifts are equal..
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interpreting bama trd as having installed a spacer kit that gives 2.5" lift. This causes the spindle in full droop to be 2.5" lower than stock.

@bama trd: While the truck is supported at the frame, you can put a jack under the lower control arm and raise it. This will compress the suspension and let you move the spindle away from the coil. However, as others have said, spacers are bad. You can imagine the setup will stress the ball joint and cause it to fail prematurely.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Is the ball the joint hitting the spring after you've dropped the truck back down to the ground?

Is the spacer 2.5" tall or the overall advertised lift supposed to end up at 2.5" tall?

A couple solutions:

1. Uniball UCAs.
2. Shorter top plate spacers

Pictures would be most helpful.

Top plate spacers (like body lifts) aren't necessarily bad. It is just that there are better ways of solving the same problem. And, like everything else in life, best in moderation.

BTW, I had a 3" lift in the front using OME coilovers and had spindle to coil contact with the stock UCAs at full droop. Solved it with Icon UCAs. YMMV.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
This was my addition to that thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post6772018
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Thanks everyone for the replies, it was an advertised 2.5" spacer front lift. I sent it back for a full refund. I didn't get to drop the truck down off the jack stands with it installed, because the ball joint was hitting the spring so hard. I just pulled it right back off. I'm going to save and purchase the 5100 shocks, I just hate to buy new upper uca's ....I've heard they're really expensive...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
This was my addition to that thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post6772018
This is exactly what it was looking like!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama trd View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies, it was an advertised 2.5" spacer front lift. I sent it back for a full refund. I didn't get to drop the truck down off the jack stands with it installed, because the ball joint was hitting the spring so hard. I just pulled it right back off. I'm going to save and purchase the 5100 shocks, I just hate to buy new upper uca's ....I've heard they're really expensive...
You can get LR UCA's for <$400. Not that bad compared to some of the uniball setups out there.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #12

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure LRs will solve the problem because they have a ball joint just like stock. Would have to compare the two geometries between stock and the LR to see.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #13

Law Enforcement:
Just order Bilstein 5100's for Front and Rear!!! Can't wait , Thanks Guys