Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front end thud, clunk, thump when first starting to move.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
Going to crawl under it on the creeper tonight and tug/twist/pull on everything and see if I can figure out what it is..

U-Joints.. Carrier Bearing... shock bushings... etc.

Also going to put a bit more grease into the slip yolk... It may be binding.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Check to see if your LCA bushings are shot.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
Check to see if your LCA bushings are shot.

Ok. I'll get pictures of the suspension bits since I'm not too sure what I am looking for.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspansel View Post
Ok. I'll get pictures of the suspension bits since I'm not too sure what I am looking for.
There will be a front and rear bushing where your lower control arm (LCA) bolts to your frame.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
NSDON is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
NSDON's Tacoma Gallery
If the thud happens when you start moving gently, I would vote for carrier bearing or u joints, slip yoke, something connected to the drive shafts. If the thud happens when you start moving fast off the line, it could be a tranny mount or engine mounts.

Bad suspension/shock/sway bar bushings are more likely to make a noise when you are moving and the suspension is moving up and down.

Don
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Just duct tape it

Ok... so I lubed the crap out of my slip yolk and that seems to have made it much quieter? Did not hear it at all last night and this morning when I went to the store. Just one small one once. So still seems to be there.

All u-joints are very tight. No play with eachother. I can push the drive shaft up and kind of wiggle it around a little in the carrier bearing. 1/4" or so. From my research that seems normal?

My shocks are bad though. The bottom mount bushings are torn. The drivers side is worse and the shock isnt really centered in the mount anymore. Not sure thats what could be causing the noise, but it sure is time to replace! 160k on them.

Everything else bushing wise looked real good, no play in anything as far as I could tell.

Here is the drivers side bottom shock mount...

Passenger side....
Not as bad, but still has a tear.

Going to pick up some 5100 Adjustable shocks here soon..
Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
BigBoi is on a distinguished road
Name: Jacob
BigBoi's Tacoma Gallery
My shocks are highly worn as well. Might be something to investigate.