1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shocks for 95 2WD?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by armstrong750, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Aug 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    armstrong750

armstrong750 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Dallas area
    Vehicle:
    95 LX 4 cyl xtra cab
    In case you haven't read my intro on the newcomer page, I recently bought a 95 Tacoma from a good friend who was the original owner. It's got 200K on it, is bone stock, and runs great. I bought it for my son who will be 16 in January. But I'm loving this little truck so much, I may keep it for myself.

This taco needs new shocks in the worst way. So, I thought I'd hit up the experts for info on brands/types, and tips on the how to do job or have it done.

I don't want to change the ride height or anything. I just want something that'll smooth out the ride for the next 80-100K miles, and not break the bank.

Once purchased, is it easy enough to do on my own? I believe the rears would be do-able, but am not sure about the fronts. Also, are there any tips about other parts that should be changed out in the process?

Thanks in advance,
    David

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I believe you got yourself a 5 lug truck. If so, shocks are super easy. They aren't struts on the front like on the 4x4 or prerunner trucks, so you don't need a coil compressor or even to remove the coils to change them. You undo the 2 bolts on the little "ears" on the bottom side of the LCA and one bolt on the top of the coil bucket that's threaded onto the stem and it drops right out of the bottom (It's very easy to see once you're underneath the truck looking at everything). I also repacked my wheel bearings in the front when I did it, but that requires tearing a bunch more stuff apart that is unnecessary for just changing shocks. I was putting new spindles on mine so I had all of it apart anyway.

Rears are pretty straightforward as you said, I think I actually had more trouble with the rears since I was by myself and had to compress them and get them onto the mounts.

As for brands, I'd probably say just take your pick from whatever the local parts store has. You don't seem to be wanting to do any offroading, and most anything will do for on-road driving.

3. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    Hansel

Hansel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Go with Bilstein shocks. They cost a little more but last much longer, so they are worth it. And this recommendation is coming from a frugal person.

I just replaced my OEM shocks with Bilsteins...you can really see the difference when you compare.

Front and rear are simple to replace for the do it yourselfer, the rear is easier. If you've ever replaced shocks in old school vehicles then it's a piece of cake for you.

I put anti seize on the bolts so they will be very easy to remove in the future. Great product.

Nothing else should need to be replaced with respect to replacing the shocks. If your front end or coils are bad....that's another question

take care

[​IMG]

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    Hansel

Hansel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Also, I previously posted the following on torque specs for the shock bolts/nuts...The point is, don't over tighten them

-------------------------------------------------

Front shocks

Set the dial on the torque wrench to 18 foot lb. and tighten the upper nut until you feel the wrench slip. Install the lower bolts and torque them to 29 foot lb.

Rear

torque the nuts to 19 foot lb

These are general specs for the Tacoma...however, it can vary depending on model

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    Hansel

Hansel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    cheap shocks usually last 30-40k miles.

Bilsteins 100k+ miles.

I've had lots of experience with both over the years...when I was young, could only afford cheap shocks.

hope this helped.

6. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Hansel

Hansel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    base
    Just to clarify...changing front and rear shocks on the 2wd tacoma is easy. The 4wd may be different...in case anyone with 4wd reads this thread.

7. Aug 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    armstrong750

armstrong750 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Dallas area
    Vehicle:
    95 LX 4 cyl xtra cab
    That's just the info I was looking for. Thanks MowTaco and Hansel! Will definitely pick up the Bilsteins.

8. Aug 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    armstrong750

armstrong750 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Dallas area
    Vehicle:
    95 LX 4 cyl xtra cab
    BTW, how do you tell if the front coils need to be replaced?

9. Aug 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    If they're broken I guess, Don't think there's much of a replacement schedule for coils.

Products Discussed in

To Top