Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Keeping AC Condensation Drip off Frame

Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
hiroze is on a distinguished road

hiroze's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping AC Condensation Drip off Frame

Hiya hiya:

Recently (past few days) I had water pooling and dumping into the floor of the cabin from a clogged AC drain hose. Cleared the drain hose and now the leak is coming out from under the car, which seems to be normal based on 1st and 2nd gen threads I've read about this issue. I also moved from CA to NC in the past week so the humidity went up 40% and very likely contributed to it.

I'm not sure about the newer models, but on my 2002, the drip seems to fall onto the frame (will have to confirm on the weekend when I can take a good look), which seems like it could be a long term problem brewing. I'm sure there's an easy fix to keep the water off the frame and I'm hoping people could give me a few good/easy suggestions if anyone thinks it's necessary? I saw a solution or two here, but am hoping for more options if possible.

Also, on a much less important, general curiosity note- is there not a fix to this problem in the manufacturing process? Given some of the amazingly advanced technology, this seems like it would have a fix regardless of weather conditions.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
just add a rubber hose on the drain and make it long enough to go below the frame and zip tie it to something there.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Mine drips off onto something really hot cuz I hear it "sssssssss" after a long summer day of driving with AC on full blast. But I don't see any rust so I'm not sure what it is
Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Has your truck never driven in the rain or through a puddle either? The frame is gonna get wet regardless, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Changeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Changeling's Tacoma Gallery
I agree totally with you about fixing a problem with the water, just common sense!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
considering frame rust is such a HUGE well known problem w/ these trucks I'd say any little bit helps
Whatever tickles your pickle I guess. I've lost hope for mine and am just hoping it'll rot out by 2019 so I get a new one
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
ROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shedROCKIN RICHIE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ROCKIN RICHIE's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta go with Batman here... the frames rust from the inside out because the 'C' channels were layered on top of each other setting up no conclusion but rust. Think back to those earlier generation 1979-1994 trucks that were in mint condition except over the rear wheels. Toyota lap welded 2 pieces together here and every one of them rusted from the inside out. Your driving in the rain will get the frame wetter than the condensate. Too bad Toyota engineers failed to remember this earlier debacle?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
BallzDeep is how I go
916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
916TacoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
The water that builds from AC condensation doesn't contain impurities that would do damage to steel of the frame.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
hiroze is on a distinguished road

hiroze's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the tips and info! As mentioned by others, I'd like to minimize any wear on the frame due to the trouble frame rust can cause. Plus, it's an easy fix so why not do it right?