1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Caliper Bad?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MEDICDUDE423, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Aug 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    MEDICDUDE423

MEDICDUDE423 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Limited X-Cab 4WD
    Pulled off my tires to replace some tire rods and found this discolored caliper on my drivers side. These calipers are original with 10 years of driving and 120,000. You can see in the pictures that i rubbed some off and it feels and looks like grease. My upper ball joints are not leaking. My brakes feel normal. Any help is appreciated

securedownload.jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg

2. Aug 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Looks like a caliper to me.. Covered in rust and brake dust. There isn't any seepage coming out of the piston boots is there? If they're leaking then you have a problem, also check to see if they're frozen or not, a big pair of channel lock pliers to squeeze the pads from the caliper body, if they don't move they're frozen.

3. Aug 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    cdj1

cdj1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vidalia, GA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    King Extended travel coilovers, 5100 Shocks, Daystar shackles,OME Leaf Springs,255/85/16, front diff drop, RAT skid plates, 4.56 gears, LSD in rear, Aussie locker in the front, Front Range Offroad twin sticks, trail gear/ Bash Fab rear bumper, elite off road front bumper and sliders, warn m8000 winch, in cab winch control
    Don't know if they are the same, but I pulled perfectly working calipers off my 97 4wd regular cab and upgraded them to Tundra calipers about 3 months ago. Free if you want them. I will even be in Athens next week.

Products Discussed in

To Top