Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hood latch not working!!!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
It's doing it again. At least now I know how to fix it (hopefully) but next order of business is to get a whole new latch assembly. I'll call dealership tomorrow and find out how much one costs. Does anyone know where else I can buy one?

Besides a pick your part junkyard
A regular wrecking yard is your best bet.

You know, those latches are very simple, so the problem should be obvious when you remove it. If there is nothing obvious, it could be a binding issue. Maybe just removing, greasing, and re-installing will fix it. Perhaps those can be adjusted, like a sticking door hinge, to relieve binding. Thats what I would try first.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Can you lift the hood after you pull the hood latch? Even if the hood doesn't "spring up", if you can freely lift the hood an inch or two in order to get to the secondary latch, the hood release switch has done its job.[/QUOTE]

Yes. That's what I have to do. It's fine for me then?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
Can you lift the hood after you pull the hood latch? Even if the hood doesn't "spring up", if you can freely lift the hood an inch or two in order to get to the secondary latch, the hood release switch has done its job.
Yes. That's what I have to do. It's fine for me then?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Sometimes they spring up, sometimes they dont... But if you can lift it with one finger after you pull the inside latch (only resistance is the weight of the hood) then the latch is working properly. It becomes an issue in my case where the inside latch doesn't "pop" the hood, therefore not allowing it to come up that extra inch or two to access the secondary lever. You're fine

Another piece of advice to everyone though, don't drop your hood from a height. Lower it until it rests on the secondary lever, and then use force to push it that extra inch or two until it clicks into place.

Hopefully I was able to get my thoughts into words here