Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hood latch not working!!!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Hood latch not working!!!!!

I don't like posting "HELP" threads, but I'm desperate here. My hood latch has been acting funny lately, but today it completely gave up. It won't open when I pull the latch inside the cab!! I can't even open the hood at all. This is such a PITA and I have no clue how to fix it or even what's wrong. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Is there resistance when you pull the release?
the action is either gummed up, or the cable broke.

If the action is gummed try spraying the action with some type of fluid (like PBlaster), and then push down on the hood while someone pulls the release.

if the cables broke i don't know what to tell you.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I tried spraying wd40 on it and a combination of pulling the latch/pushing and pulling on the hood. No luck
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
urrutiadan32 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
urrutiadan32's Tacoma Gallery
i had this problem but it was the little rubber things that you can twist under the hood that wasn't making my hood pop up, maybe try that, twist them til theres about 1 more thread showing
Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by urrutiadan32 View Post
i had this problem but it was the little rubber things that you can twist under the hood that wasn't making my hood pop up, maybe try that, twist them til theres about 1 more thread showing
Thanks... I'm pretty sure mine is the latch though. It doesn't resist when I pull on the lever. Still trying to figure out how to get the hood off
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't pull the hood up then it's a broken cable, I can figure out how to get the cable pulled I you want.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

For some reason I don't think the cable is broken. I can feel it pulling the cable and I can hear the mechanism moving near the grill

I could be wrong though
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, have you tried pulling/ prying on the good while someone pulls the release?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Hmm, have you tried pulling/ prying on the good while someone pulls the release?
Do this, it usually works for me
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Interested in the outcome of this, and wishing for the best, because I think mine is on the way out. It doesn't like to open sometimes. Sometimes when I pull the release it will act like I didn't pull it, and sometimes when I pull it, it feels so lacking in resistance that I'm not sure it's released the hood until I get out and lift on it.
Best of luck, OP!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Check the spring under the hood that attached to the latch, mine came unhooked and it did the same thing
Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
Do this, it usually works for me
I tried pulling on it, but i'll see if I can get something in there to pry it with tomorrow. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
Interested in the outcome of this, and wishing for the best, because I think mine is on the way out. It doesn't like to open sometimes. Sometimes when I pull the release it will act like I didn't pull it, and sometimes when I pull it, it feels so lacking in resistance that I'm not sure it's released the hood until I get out and lift on it.
Best of luck, OP!
Thats how mine was acting the past couple times I opened it. I would check it every time you open it and lube it with some oil or grease to make sure that the same thing doesnt happen to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman5015 View Post
Check the spring under the hood that attached to the latch, mine came unhooked and it did the same thing
I would check that... If i could get my hood open. The last time my latch quit working, that was the problem. The only difference is this time, my hood is closed and won't open... Last time it was open and wouldn't close. Much easier fix as you can actually access the spring
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Oddly but I have never had a hood latch not open on ANY vehicle I've ever owned so this is completely new to me.

Sub'b for the results.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
If the prying doesn't work smack the hood (lightly with your palms) while someone pulls the release, this should cause the latch to disengage, as there is no pressure on it.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #15

Got it fixed!!

Did some searching and found a couple threads on TTORA about it. One suggestion was to drive over some rough bumps while pulling the lever in... Pulled in the lever, found a speed bump and hit it at around 35 mph and boom! It popped up, drove it home and put some WD-40 on it, shut it and opened it with no problems. Some guys were saying that when it gets dirty, the mechanism gets stuck. I think this was the problem, as I went up Silverado the other day and got her pretty dirty.

95taco, I'm sure your suggestion would have worked if I'd have hit it harder. This is the same theory, just a lot more force.

A BIG thanks everyone for the inputs! Hopefully someone will run across this thread sometime and find a solution. Keep in mind that I could still feel that the lever was still attached to the cable... If the cable is broken anywhere (which is a much bigger problem) you'd have to find a different solution
Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrutiadan32 View Post
Those are to adjust the position of the hood so it sits level with the fenders and grille when closed.
The spring that makes the hood pop up is in the center latch mechanism.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
When I pull the release, the hood latch releases, but doesn't spring the hood up the inch or two it is supposed to...? Been like this for a long time. hmmmm
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Those are to adjust the position of the hood so it sits level with the fenders and grille when closed.
The spring that makes the hood pop up is in the center latch mechanism.
Yes, but I have heard of people having to adjust them upwards to create the tension needed for the latch to work. Wasn't an issue for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
When I pull the release, the hood latch releases, but doesn't spring the hood up the inch or two it is supposed to...? Been like this for a long time. hmmmm
Can you lift the hood after you pull the hood latch? Even if the hood doesn't "spring up", if you can freely lift the hood an inch or two in order to get to the secondary latch, the hood release switch has done its job.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #19

It's doing it again. At least now I know how to fix it (hopefully) but next order of business is to get a whole new latch assembly. I'll call dealership tomorrow and find out how much one costs. Does anyone know where else I can buy one?

Besides a pick your part junkyard
Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Rockauto might have what you're looking for

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=10747