Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lower Ball Joint-replacement

Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Lower Ball Joint-replacement

Replaced my 160,000 mile Lower Ball Joints this morning... about 2 hrs work.
Super simple.... now it is good for another 100,000 plus miles of fun on the trails!
Original... the torn boot was when I removed it.

New factory version.

Not going to bore you all about the install... I have it written up on my TTORA Garage Section.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
OEM, way to go. I'm steeling your pic for my data/image base.

Now is the perfect time to put a dab of something across the bolt head/joint body so you can tell at a glance if any loosening is going on.

Here JBWeld epoxy is used cause that's what was laying around and it's kinda thick. It's not there to secure anything, just to give a good visual if the bolt has moved, before they shear.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
is the bj just held on by a castle nut and pin?

I gotta swap mine sometime
Ball joint to LCA by the castle nut.
Ball joint to spindle by the 4 bolts notorious for loosening then shearing.
Look at the pics above.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
Here JBWeld epoxy is used cause that's what was laying around and it's kinda thick. It's not there to secure anything, just to give a good visual if the bolt has moved, before they shear.

Good idea... need to get a new tube of JBW anyways.
When you did yours, did you also used the BLUE Loctite?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
POINT ONE %ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasYOTA View Post
Good idea... need to get a new tube of JBW anyways.
When you did yours, did you also used the BLUE Loctite?
Yea, plus I am a little nuts (maybe very nuts), definitely senile.

Specifically for the 4 mount bolts, 1st I run a dull tap through, then a solvent laden gun bore brush followed by comp air. Additionally OEM joints have a preservative coating on the machined seat areas that should be removed (sometimes it's pretty thick, with thicker runs and blobs), then comes proper torque with Loctite. And as if that's not enough I dribble some Permatex "AfterLoc" on the tops of the bolts where they stick out of the spindle. If I have to service a CV shaft or something, I pop the ball joint stud and leave the bolts alone. I consider them borderline 1 time use fasteners.

Permatex AfterLoc is some handy stuff. It's a penetrating thread locker made for after torque applications. I use it just to tell myself I did all that could be done. It is great stuff however, for fasteners that might benefit from "torque > thermal cycle > re-torque" then thread locker. EDIT, like rear diff carrier nuts.

Good luck with your stay in "sick bay".
Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
Ball joint to LCA by the castile nut.
Ball joint to spindle by the 4 bolts notorious for loosening then shearing.
Look at the pics above.
awesome, thanks

didn't know if there was something else holding the bj into the lca///if it would be as much of a PITA to swap as the uca haha
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
awesome, thanks

didn't know if there was something else holding the bj into the lca///if it would be as much of a PITA to swap as the uca haha
Dammit Cody !! Don't make me break out the pics that show the horror of failed LBJ's