Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Will a Toytec add-a-leaf help with my tacos axle wrap?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Don't mind me, I'm only slightly stupid
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
HamerMan's Tacoma Gallery
Will a Toytec add-a-leaf help with my tacos axle wrap?

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...afs_p_303.html

This is the kit I'm thinking of getting
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Should help a little, but you are still building off of the weak oem springs. I recommend a full aftermarket replacement, or look into building a custom set of springs.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Does the fact that it's pre-runner with the TRD package make the stock springs any better? If not should I do aftermarket or custom? What's the difference?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamerMan View Post
Does the fact that it's pre-runner with the TRD package make the stock springs any better? If not should I do aftermarket or custom? What's the difference?
IMO, no. OEM springs are junk. You can search for the "old dog" thread on here and make your own springs from a set of old Chevy springs. He's got a good write up if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and it'll save you a couple hundred dollars. Aftermarket leafs will be pricier, but you can install them with minimal effort and be done with it.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
OMD mod just got mine in
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Japanese
mudyota is on a distinguished road

mudyota's Tacoma Gallery
It actually helped mine some but its still there
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
IMO, no. OEM springs are junk. You can search for the "old dog" thread on here and make your own springs from a set of old Chevy springs. He's got a good write up if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, and it'll save you a couple hundred dollars. Aftermarket leafs will be pricier, but you can install them with minimal effort and be done with it.
Thanks Ill look that up
Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamerMan View Post
Thanks Ill look that up
I'm a dunce, here's his thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/194386-tacoma-spring-refurbishing.html
Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
AGAIN thanks, I couldn't find it for the life of me
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Help, maybe. Remove all axle wrap, no.

Even after changing to OME Dakars and the OME D6XL (AAL) I still have that snap. However tightening the u-bolts sure helped the most which makes me think what is commonly thought of as axle wrap may just be loose u-bolts.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
Help, maybe. Remove all axle wrap, no.

Even after changing to OME Dakars and the OME D6XL (AAL) I still have that snap. However tightening the u-bolts sure helped the most which makes me think what is commonly thought of as axle wrap may just be loose u-bolts.
You shouldn't have much wrapping at all unless you are running a S/C. Might be some play in the drive line, or you need to lube.