Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Input shaft bearing noise

Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
04secondowner is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyson
04secondowner's Tacoma Gallery
Input shaft bearing noise

Hello everyone, I have been getting noise from my throw out bearing and pilot bearing lately. In an attempt to get the dealer I purchased my truck from to pay for the repair I took it to aamco transmission to have it diagnosed.

They confirmed that they throw out pilot bearing were going out but they also told me that my input shaft bearing was going out as well and quoted me 1200 dollars to do the repair!

I do think the input bearing is going because you can hear a slight whining when driving over 65. My question is it this is in fact what is wrong and if anyone has attempted to do this sort of repair themselves. My repair budget is a little tight and I would really like to do it myself in order to save my self from having to finance it on a card or some other way. Thanks in advance for your feed back, I appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
The input shaft bearing is a $15 part, no big thing right ? Problem is the input shaft is on the main shaft which makes it a "center" shaft & alllll that shit has to come out in order to R&R...

The part is cheap but very labor intensive
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
I have almost the exact same problem with the addition of my TOB chattering a little bit.

It's just making a little bit of noise right now but when it comes time I will be doing the work myself.

Marlin has a full kit available and a handful of upgrades that I will be getting as well for longevity sake.

That sucks about that in particular being the problem though, if it's not noticeable in all gears (sans 4th) you should need to worry TOO much for a LITTLE bit.

If you can get the dealer to pick up the tab then by all means, fight for it.

How many miles are on the engine/tranny?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
The truck has 162k miles on both. It was a one owner truck before I got ahold of it in february. Too bad he didn't do all the regular maintenance. Oh well. Good thing I'm pretty good at repairs. I don't think I'm up to tearing down the transmission. If I'm not mistaken there are a number required specialty tools for transmission work. I guess I will be trying to find the best price on a reman transmission or the labor to replace the bearings. This is my dd so I need it in running order.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04secondowner View Post
The truck has 162k miles on both. It was a one owner truck before I got ahold of it in february. Too bad he didn't do all the regular maintenance. Oh well. Good thing I'm pretty good at repairs. I don't think I'm up to tearing down the transmission. If I'm not mistaken there are a number required specialty tools for transmission work. I guess I will be trying to find the best price on a reman transmission or the labor to replace the bearings. This is my dd so I need it in running order.

I saw quite a few used manual trans when i was looking for a used auto for my truck, prices were good (some for $250-$300 ) not bad as opposed to the $1100 it cost for mine...
Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Where were you able to find used manual transmissions? I have had a hard time finding any for a reasonable price.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04secondowner View Post
Where were you able to find used manual transmissions? I have had a hard time finding any for a reasonable price.

Mostly on craigslist here in san diego
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Alright, I will have to start looking on my local CL. Thanks for the input. An update about the dealer, he has only agreed to pay for the cost of the throw out bearing to be replaced. They won't pay for the clutch as well because it wasn't diagnosed as "bad" even though it should be done as a set. I hate stealerships. Definitely buying a certified vehicle next time around if I don't just drive this one forever that is!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Hey thanks a lot, i appreciate all the advice. I searched my local cl and there is nothing worth spending money on. I have decided to have it worked on at a transmission shop. It seems to be the more cost effective way in the long run. There was only one available transmission for my truck and it had 150 k on it and he wanted 550. The shop told me that at most it would be about 1200 if it needed a full rebuild. That doesn't sound so bad compared to the 2500 I was quoted for a re-manufactured transmission. Oh the joys of ten year old vehicles.... hopefully i won't NEED to do anything else real soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
The bearings are very easy to replace . The transmission splits apart in 3 sections leaving the gearing and the bearings . A bearing kit will run you about 200 bucks . All you need to do is knock off the old and replace with new which for the most part can be done by gently tapping the bearings with a hammer and a punch . Once the new bearings are installed , its a matter of sealing and bolting the transmission back up . No gaskets , just high heat RTV silicone
A word to the wise : make sure the shop does not put Toyo Koygo bearings back in . Use the National bearing kit for best results . Toyo-Koygo is OEM junk
Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
my input shaft bearing howls like a banshee; especially when it's cold
Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
That's about where mine is at. I'm just hoping there isn't damage farther in than that. This truck has needed way too much maintenance in six months. Its a good thing that I have been able to do everything else up to input bearing noise.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
vtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to allvtrguy is a name known to all

Name: Jarrod
vtrguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
The bearings are very easy to replace . The transmission splits apart in 3 sections leaving the gearing and the bearings . A bearing kit will run you about 200 bucks . All you need to do is knock off the old and replace with new which for the most part can be done by gently tapping the bearings with a hammer and a punch . Once the new bearings are installed , its a matter of sealing and bolting the transmission back up . No gaskets , just high heat RTV silicone
A word to the wise : make sure the shop does not put Toyo Koygo bearings back in . Use the National bearing kit for best results . Toyo-Koygo is OEM junk
Would a gear puller work to get the old one off? I'd rather not accidentally mar the input shaft.

You wouldn't happen to have any breakdown pics would you?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrguy View Post
Would a gear puller work to get the old one off? I'd rather not accidentally mar the input shaft.

You wouldn't happen to have any breakdown pics would you?
Under ideal conditions , a bearing separator would be best . Bearing separators fit in the snap ring groove of the bearing where gear pullers usually use threaded rods to remove the gear
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
If I had another vehicle to drive around while I attempted doing the bearings it wouldn't be so bad. I might have to give it a go the next time around. Hopefully well after it's paid off and I have another car to get me to work and back.