Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

High Beams Not Working

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Newby is on a distinguished road
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
High Beams Not Working

Hello everyone,

The High Beams on my 96 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 are not working. Every time I turn/push to the high beams, it's not working and it's just black out. The low beams are working. I already checked all of the fuses under the hood and every fuse is fine. I searched many times online but I didn't find result. I need your help and input please. Do you have any idea?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
did you check the high beam filament? there is 1 for low and 1 for high
Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
since you checked the fuses already, pull plugs to headlights, then using a voltmeter check the plug to see if you are getting the proper volts..

Also, have you checked the high beam filaments?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Does the indicator on the dash show high beams? You can also place your finger on the high beam relay to see if it "clicks" when you turn the high beams on. Other than that the above suggestions are all good ones.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I just had this happen to me and here is what fixed the problem. Basically same issue, low beams work and hi beams would go black when I pull the switch. I originally thought the Issue was either a blown fuse or a shorted out headlight switch which is actually common, however the problem was there is some kind of control module $$$$$ in the steering column and that is where the problem was. It had a short, and the fix was to by-pass the module all together so the lights would work independent of the module. I lost my DRL function, but now everything is working great both hi and lo work from the switch as normal.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00yotasr5 View Post
did you check the high beam filament? there is 1 for low and 1 for high
Thanks for your subjection. I'll check it after work and then I'll report it back here for you.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
since you checked the fuses already, pull plugs to headlights, then using a voltmeter check the plug to see if you are getting the proper volts..

Also, have you checked the high beam filaments?
I have never done any electrical test before. How can I check the plug?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Does the indicator on the dash show high beams? You can also place your finger on the high beam relay to see if it "clicks" when you turn the high beams on. Other than that the above suggestions are all good ones.
Which one is the high beams relay? Can you point it out for me?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
I just had this happen to me and here is what fixed the problem. Basically same issue, low beams work and hi beams would go black when I pull the switch. I originally thought the Issue was either a blown fuse or a shorted out headlight switch which is actually common, however the problem was there is some kind of control module $$$$$ in the steering column and that is where the problem was. It had a short, and the fix was to by-pass the module all together so the lights would work independent of the module. I lost my DRL function, but now everything is working great both hi and lo work from the switch as normal.
Can you tell me where is the control module in the steering column? What does it look like?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I just checked and the high beam indicator is shown on the dash.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
Which one is the high beams relay? Can you point it out for me?
Right off the top of my head I don't remember, but your fuse block cover or owner's manual should say.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right off the top of my head I don't remember, but your fuse block cover or owner's manual should say.
Thanks. I'll look at the manual and then report back here for you.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Did you just try a new bulb? Cheap way to see if both high elements just happened to burn out at the same time. Odd yes, but it has happened before.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Did you just try a new bulb? Cheap way to see if both high elements just happened to burn out at the same time. Odd yes, but it has happened before.
No, I haven't replace with the new bulbs. I checked the fuses and they all are good. Furthermore, I checked both sides of head lights but I didn't see the high beams or the high elements. what do they look like?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
No, I haven't replace with the new bulbs. I checked the fuses and they all are good. Furthermore, I checked both sides of head lights but I didn't see the high beams or the high elements. what do they look like?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #16
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
Get a multimeter (voltmeter) at Harbor Freight, they always have some kind of sale, I have seen them as cheap at $4, more than likely around $7...

There are three wires that come into the blub on the harness, one is ground, one is low beam, and one is high beam. very simple to test if voltage is flowing...put ground, the black wire on tester, on negative battery terminal, then check each of the three wires, once with lights on regular, then when clicked on high using the remaining red wire probe, make sure you have the multimeter in DC mode....obviously, the ground wire will not show any volts, but the other two wires should be sporting DC 12 volts plus...check both harnesses, may as well be thorough..

This should take you no more than a minute or two, ten seconds if you have a friend who can flick the lever, saving you run back and forth time...it is going to take much longer to get the tool...the tool will come in handy on many other projects, so it is a good investment...

good luck...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
Thank you so much for showing me the filaments. I'll check it again and the let you know.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
Get a multimeter (voltmeter) at Harbor Freight, they always have some kind of sale, I have seen them as cheap at $4, more than likely around $7...

There are three wires that come into the blub on the harness, one is ground, one is low beam, and one is high beam. very simple to test if voltage is flowing...put ground, the black wire on tester, on negative battery terminal, then check each of the three wires, once with lights on regular, then when clicked on high using the remaining red wire probe, make sure you have the multimeter in DC mode....obviously, the ground wire will not show any volts, but the other two wires should be sporting DC 12 volts plus...check both harnesses, may as well be thorough..

This should take you no more than a minute or two, ten seconds if you have a friend who can flick the lever, saving you run back and forth time...it is going to take much longer to get the tool...the tool will come in handy on many other projects, so it is a good investment...

good luck...
Thank you for your advice. I'll try it.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't test it with the tester but the beams seem normal. It works fine on the high beams with pulling the switch toward me, but it does not work when I push the switch forward as the way it suppose to be. Do you have any idea why?