Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Turbo Kit

Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #181
trdtoy is on a distinguished road
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHwreckage View Post
Hey so does anyone know the difference between the MAP ECU 2 and 3, im looking at getting one of them once i save up and put a turbo on my taco to control the 6 additional injectors from the URD port fueler and timing and AFR's. And the ECU 2 can be had for almost 300 cheaper than the 3. Also am i correct in assuming the AEM FIC cant control 6 additional injectors? i keep finding contradicting information on the internet as usual. Im not sure which way to go 6 new higher capacity injectors or 6 additional injectors via the port fueler and which would be easier to tune ahhhh so many decisions! Also do all 3 need an additional AFR module to adjust the AFR im 90% sure the MAP ecu 2/3 does but i am not sure on the AEM FIC?
On the map ecu 2 vs 3 just look on their website for differences. With any of these you will need the afr adjust add on module if you want to control afr in closed loop. All can control afr in open loop. Aem fic I have no clue if it can control 6 additional but may want to check aem website for this info.6 additional or 6 larger not much difference in tuning. Major difference may be the tuneability and driveability depending on combo used together.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #182
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Quote:
once i save up and put a turbo on my taco to control the 6 additional injectors from the URD port fueler
What is the hard-on with this port fueler everyone has? Hardly any other tuners/platforms use this style... then again not many people still use piggybacks that remind me of the days of DOS and commodore 64s

Quote:
Also am i correct in assuming the AEM FIC cant control 6 additional injectors? i keep finding contradicting information on the internet as usual.
Yes, there is a wiring configuration to make the FIC control either the 6 primary, or 6 aux, or a 7th injector. I had a 7th injector setup made to test the latter, but never went further with it, control the 6 primary fine.

Go to the horses mouth, go to AEM, download the FIC's instructions- no more internet back and forth- its in the instructions.

Quote:
Im not sure which way to go 6 new higher capacity injectors or 6 additional injectors via the port fueler and which would be easier to tune ahhhh so many decisions!
With the FIC, go six higher flow primary if and only if your going with quality. Google more about the FIC and the EMU. Both use a tuning strategy oriented for larger injector tuning. Quality-- don't expect an OBDII ECU with or without piggyback to run well and be happy when you put in 20 year old injector technology. Newer emissions and ECUs require finer and finer control of fuel, and better atomization. Putting in some junkyard injectors is asking for issues.

Quote:
Also do all 3 need an additional AFR module to adjust the AFR?... but i am not sure on the AEM FIC?
See post #158
Quote:
IMO its only achilles tendon is that they did NOT impliment an o2 feedback circuit like the URD/Split seconds and AEM FICs.
To harp on this some more- google around to see it yourself-- many find that the issues of tuning larger primary injectors via the piggybacks of OLD (Mapecu, Apexi SAFC, Greddy blue etc etc) to be the method they used-- MAF based tuning. Want to run richer, alter the MAF. Leaner you say? Alter the MAF.

The new piggybacks like the EMU and AEM FIC tune via intercepting the injector duty cycle (injector wires themselves) and changing them by a percent you input. It has made tuning larger injectors much much easier/more intuitive. The FIC has further advantage of o2 scewing.

The MAPECU products have been leading edge when I used to keep up on them. I'm finding it hard to see if the 3 controls fuel tuning via the injector wires, or just through the MAF. Its feature list looks awesome, but if it still tunes via the MAF- no thanks. If it graduated to tuning via the injector wires (intercepting), then it looks like one heck of a runner up against the EMU and the only advantage the FIC has is in pricing (with the FIC you get a lot less features, but it does great at the important stuff- tuning, injector control, logging, intuitive controls, closed loop control etc).
Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #183
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Ive heard bult 5VZ up to 900 but Ive never seen then in the 1200-1500+ HP range of the 2JZ. Its bore/stroke (95/83) is more torque freindly than HP freindly, unlike the 86/86 bore stroke of the 2JZ. Either way, both great engines .
There have been some 1500+ hp 5vz out there.....per gadget Some 2jz are higher than this though. 5vz is 93.5mm bore x 82mm stroke. Hp/tq not really dependant on bore x stroke but flow of air/fuel at different rpms. So if both 5vz and 2jz had same mods such as cr, cam grind, turbo size, exhaust, ect and only difference was displacement then 5vz wins in power response and overall hp/tq. Same reason supra guys get a bore/stroke kit to get the 2jz in the 3.4l range. More power overall and comes on sooner. Only problem is due to block design and a few other things the 5vz can not support the same power level as the 2jz with same supporting mods.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #184
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
On the map ecu 2 vs 3 just look on their website for differences. With any of these you will need the afr adjust add on module if you want to control afr in closed loop. All can control afr in open loop. Aem fic I have no clue if it can control 6 additional but may want to check aem website for this info.6 additional or 6 larger not much difference in tuning. Major difference may be the tuneability and driveability depending on combo used together.
Just found this about the map ecu3 "OEM O2 & AFR Sensor Adjust 26 x 19 (494 zone) table allowing control over Air/Fuel ratios, even in Closed-loop mode" so I guess you don't need an additional module to adjust afr's
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #185
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
What is the hard-on with this port fueler everyone has? Hardly any other tuners/platforms use this style... then again not many people still use piggybacks that remind me of the days of DOS and commodore 64s

Yes, there is a wiring configuration to make the FIC control either the 6 primary, or 6 aux, or a 7th injector. I had a 7th injector setup made to test the latter, but never went further with it, control the 6 primary fine.

Go to the horses mouth, go to AEM, download the FIC's instructions- no more internet back and forth- its in the instructions.

With the FIC, go six higher flow primary if and only if your going with quality. Google more about the FIC and the EMU. Both use a tuning strategy oriented for larger injector tuning. Quality-- don't expect an OBDII ECU with or without piggyback to run well and be happy when you put in 20 year old injector technology. Newer emissions and ECUs require finer and finer control of fuel, and better atomization. Putting in some junkyard injectors is asking for issues.

See post #158

To harp on this some more- google around to see it yourself-- many find that the issues of tuning larger primary injectors via the piggybacks of OLD (Mapecu, Apexi SAFC, Greddy blue etc etc) to be the method they used-- MAF based tuning. Want to run richer, alter the MAF. Leaner you say? Alter the MAF.

The new piggybacks like the EMU and AEM FIC tune via intercepting the injector duty cycle (injector wires themselves) and changing them by a percent you input. It has made tuning larger injectors much much easier/more intuitive. The FIC has further advantage of o2 scewing.

The MAPECU products have been leading edge when I used to keep up on them. I'm finding it hard to see if the 3 controls fuel tuning via the injector wires, or just through the MAF. Its feature list looks awesome, but if it still tunes via the MAF- no thanks. If it graduated to tuning via the injector wires (intercepting), then it looks like one heck of a runner up against the EMU and the only advantage the FIC has is in pricing (with the FIC you get a lot less features, but it does great at the important stuff- tuning, injector control, logging, intuitive controls, closed loop control etc).
^^^^^Good info^^^^^

I think I read on mapecu forum that map ecu did best when keeping larger injectors less than 2x oem sizing.....some over size them based on this and start running into problems. This should not be a problem on the 5vz as oem are 238cc/min if memory serves me correct so stay under a 476cc/min injector and you should be fine per map ecu...you will not need more than this anyway unless motor is built.....heck 318's and up the fuel pressure and you will be suprised what they can support..... I can get into details on tuning difference larger vs additional pros cons ect but it really boils down to if you have a combo that can be easily tuned and fine tuned will work best overall...and a maf based tuner is not going to be superior however may work in certain cases.....
Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #186
trdtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHwreckage View Post
Just found this about the map ecu3 "OEM O2 & AFR Sensor Adjust 26 x 19 (494 zone) table allowing control over Air/Fuel ratios, even in Closed-loop mode" so I guess you don't need an additional module to adjust afr's
I was told by a reliable source that you still need module to be able to control afr in closed loop mode..... above quote does not say that you need or do not need module it just says it has the ability to control that area.....many buy it thinking they are good to go just to find out they need the module because when they adjust afr in closed loop it still at or near 14.7 afr.....
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #187
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtoy View Post
I was told by a reliable source that you still need module to be able to control afr in closed loop mode..... above quote does not say that you need or do not need module it just says it has the ability to control that area.....many buy it thinking they are good to go just to find out they need the module because when they adjust afr in closed loop it still at or near 14.7 afr.....
Good to know
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #188
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
If thats the case, a bit of false advertising IMO, and you would have to pay $$ for another module to control air fuel in closed loop, and yet another interface via PC to tune, or its a fixed setting and you have to use the air fuel it has at closed loop weather you like it or not.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #189
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Trdtoy and BlacksportD, I commend you guys. You keep posting up really good info.

For the Map-Ecu2, you have to purchase the AFR module, to do Closed Loop tuning. Not sure for the Map3.

I just the read the same things about the Map3, from URD's website,

http://urdusa.com/Electronics-Perfor...duct_info.html

and it leads one to believe that it has the AFR module onboard. It is easier to get a hold of Gadget and verify, than dealing with the time difference of the Aussies.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #190
Robb235 is on a distinguished road

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo Kit

Time to bring this thread back to life.

I decided I wanted to give these manifolds a shot, so I went to order them yesterday, but apparently they're out of stock. 2 weeks at least until they get more.

While I was on the phone with the guy, I mentioned putting these manifolds and downpipe on my 4Runner. He said it wouldn't work. All he knew was that his "R&D department" had tried it, and that there were clearance issues with the 4Runner. He didn't know anything more beyond that. My plan is to fabricate my own intake (non-intercooled, low boost), so why wouldn't the manifolds fit? What's different about the 4Runner engine bay compared to the Tacoma?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #191
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
Time to bring this thread back to life.

I decided I wanted to give these manifolds a shot, so I went to order them yesterday, but apparently they're out of stock. 2 weeks at least until they get more.

While I was on the phone with the guy, I mentioned putting these manifolds and downpipe on my 4Runner. He said it wouldn't work. All he knew was that his "R&D department" had tried it, and that there were clearance issues with the 4Runner. He didn't know anything more beyond that. My plan is to fabricate my own intake (non-intercooled, low boost), so why wouldn't the manifolds fit? What's different about the 4Runner engine bay compared to the Tacoma?
Not sure... Can you post pics of your engine bay for mutliple angles? I know this kit is designed to be a non-cut setup so it might just need a little chop chop to fit.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #192

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure... Can you post pics of your engine bay for mutliple angles? I know this kit is designed to be a non-cut setup so it might just need a little chop chop to fit.

Pictures I have on my phone at the moment.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #193
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You have a cross over pipe in the back of the engine? Im thinking the issue is how high/low the engine is mounted, how far back its mounted, or how much clearance there is between the wheel wells and block...

If the engine is too high/low, the down pipe will need to be modified to match your exhaust run. If the engine is mounted too far back, you will need to cut your firewall to fit the cross over. If the wheel wells are too cramped, you will need to cut those a bit.

Im currious if 1st gen tacoma headers fit your 4runner...

Can you get pics more of your headers and exhaust run from under the truck?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #194

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Only other pictures that I found on my phone. I'll try to take more tonight when I get home from work.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #195
Wait for it...

Can't tell... Did you ask Ace why it won't fit? Might be refering to the IC pipes ?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #196

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't tell... Did you ask Ace why it won't fit? Might be refering to the IC pipes ?

Is Ace someone who works at CXRacing? I originally called the sales number since my original question was why did the eBay price of their manifolds jump up by $1,000. Guess they do that when they're out of stock. I'll call the tech line and ask the question.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #198

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Not sure why it wouldn't.

Addicted offroad and 52eighty performance made their turbo kit with a 4runner. Call them. They will sell you one I'm sure. And it'll be way better then the cxracing one anyways.

Huh? I thought CXRacing was the only available turbo manifold for the 5vzfe? Where do you see one on Addicted Offroad's site?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #199
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
Is Ace someone who works at CXRacing? I originally called the sales number since my original question was why did the eBay price of their manifolds jump up by $1,000. Guess they do that when they're out of stock. I'll call the tech line and ask the question.
Ace is the main sales guy there. Great to work with. When I bought my kit, I asked him to price match the ebay deal with free shipping (wanted about $100 more + shipping). Not sure why the price increase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Not sure why it wouldn't.

Addicted offroad and 52eighty performance made their turbo kit with a 4runner. Call them. They will sell you one I'm sure. And it'll be way better then the cxracing one anyways.
Headers should def fit. Down pipe should as well. Everything else, hard to say.