1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo Kit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Swimmerboy2112, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Aug 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    yea would be worth it i suppose if you were building a race truck haha about it though.

2. Aug 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    DHwreckage

DHwreckage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    Moby Dick (FZJ-80)
    You better do a write up, i was up at addicted offroad the other weekend getting my new bumper and Scott showed me the turbo system they have on their sas'd 4-runner! and now i want a turbo!

3. Aug 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

addicted has a turbo setup?? News to me..haha

and i will. As always. :cool:

4. Aug 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    DHwreckage

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    Moby Dick (FZJ-80)
    Yea its pretty bad ass i wish they had a write up of it, btw Blackdawg what else would you need if you picked this kit up to run it? and that intercooler and mounting system would not work to well would have to grab a smaller one and re-pipe to toss it behind the grill!

5. Aug 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    There is a member on here, XRU, or both. I cannot remember. He has a 5vz. Out of Cali. Red truck. Was making about 450-475 with his setup. Has a video of him drag racing a Viper and beating it. :cool:

6. Aug 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Here are a few pics that PSI Racing emailed me. Enjoy.

marlon_zps1ef9d079-1_7a6dc7e397c2c3a81ca701d889a77ec0b341e551.jpg

mtacoma2_zps9e3c8b8a_1fe99dc7dc23d809d28a519d4b47e83740ab5329.jpg

mtacoma1_zpsfedafcd0_e0a3c63fbf56def0ae60544ae18da23e51f892fd.jpg

:D

7. Aug 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I have an account with CXracing and should be getting a kit in soon to work on the EMS.

Kind of feel bad posting though, as even though I can get the kit in fast, I'm strapped on time to install it. If there are any SoCal locals that want to see the kit in it's raw form, I'll have it lying around I guess. I want to have spare parts around as well as I want to play around with intercooler placement and such.

8. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea so far i have this:

-Turbo port injector manifold from URD
    -6 addition 380cc injector
    -MAP ECU 3
    -Walbro 255lph pump
    -URD fuel rail tap
    -Misimoto small intercooler
    -custom IC piping

yea i saw that!

you have an account?? do tell?

I tried getting in touch with them just for some question on the kit last week..got nothing back.

And are you developing a EMS or something??

9. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    ^^ I'm 99.9% that the AEM FIC I'm already running on my S/C is more than enough for the turbo kit. It has a MAF clamp, it tunes for larger injectors the same way the Emanage Ultimate does (directly intercepts the injector drivers and modifies the duty cycle, no "tricking" the ECU into doing this thus throwing off timing and lets one run much larger injectors), tunes live on the fly, uses AEM's nice data logging, has a switch for two maps, controls closed loop air fuels via an o2 sensor tap (works on both narrowband and wideband) and o2 tuning MAP etc etc.

If that isn't enough (doubt it), or people simply want more, I already have IS300 Plug and Play MS3Pro standalone setups, and can make 5vz versions. That would be good for guys with built motors going for big numbers.

Due to laziness, I'll keep the S/C on, but I don't like compound boosting, so I'll find a way to highjack the S/C's bypass to turn the S/C off when the turbo comes online, like the new VW twin charged motor design. The difficulty will be smoothing out the transition. Hoping the CXracing wastegate is very responsive.

10. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Interesting.

However..do tell me how you plan on running a MAF with the turbo? the inlet is 4'' and there ain't a whole lot of room there.

Speed density is the way to go about it IMO. Much more accurate as it goes off Intake pressure as opposed to how much air is moving..

Id be curious on the MS3 setup. I almost did that to my supra..but decided to go with the MAFT Pro piggy back for speed density.

11. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    The kit does not delete the MAF, it has a MAF flange near the BOV- that is one of the issues I'm concerned about from my past tuning experiance.

If one does not want a MAF, the AEM FIC has a MAP sensor, and with data logging you can use it's MAF output map to simulate a MAF, somewhat converting your setup to speed density while keeping the CEL off. But thats extreme. IMO just put the MAF the same distance from the TB as OE, and get the BOV away from that area to avoid turbulance. Amazingly MAFs seem to do great even in boost. With the IS300, people run into way more problems putting the MAF pre-turbo vs. OE distance from TB. But thats why I want to run the kit- iron these things out.

The MS3pro can run speed density, mass air flow, alpha-n and blended maps. The mass air flow is not that refined yet, but I can't see many wanting to run that anyhow- but a blended setup much like the newere OE boosted cars could be cool. It also can run a flex fuel sensor and compensate. Its overkill for the kit in its raw form IMO, but for those going big, its a great EMS, especially keeping in mind the price point.

12. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea MS3 is great for the price and cusomization.

and interesting. Did not know it kept the stock MAF. However..the BOV being right by it is an issue...Is it post MAF or Pre MAF??

and yea MAF does work i have no doubts. My supra was MAF to begin with. I just know you can get a more refined tune with speed density.

I would maybe try the FIC in MAP mode personally.

Let me know when you have a good product..id love to help test it out or anything. Very interesting kit you have for the SC.

13. Aug 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Holy hells shits, I thought the 5vz went away...
    Sweet build. W/e happened to your build? Ive been following for a while (not a member, just lurking):

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?134402-My-rebuild-D/page12

14. Aug 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

my build died :eek: :pout:

i parted out all the big parts and sold the stock parts and car to the owner of our local Toyota dealership. He rebuilt it back to stock. Drives like a dream now. He let me drive it and lets me take it out for a spin some times whenever i want. Said he would sell it back to me when im out of school with a real job :p haha

i said deal. Motor still has the all the work i did to it. Just running stock turbo and fuel and quiet exhaust.

Just waiting to be unleashed.

the part out helped pay for my trucks resurrection and the Moab trip i rolled it at as well as my rear bumper and RTT. :eek:

i regret selling it a lot..but at the same time..i don't. It was a fun car though. and ill get it back someday :cool:

And yea i wish that guy would post more vids! i know somewhere he posted dyno results..just can't remember where..was awesome power band though. compared to most of the 7mgte's.

15. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Videos.... quarter mile pull if possible. And Dyno (with stats). That would be awesome. :mudding:

16. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    On Customtacos there's a kid (guy?) with a green 98-00 4x4, homemade turbo with meth injection, making something in the ballpark of 430/550 HP/TQ.

17. Aug 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Don't forget that a flow straightener can also be added before the MAF to aid in reducing the turbulence. I have one on mine. About a 1/2" thich honeycomb piece. Even better if the BOV cannot be moved to far away, and are staying full MAF.

18. Aug 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Damn... Just so you know, thats my dream car/engine.

19. Aug 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    DHwreckage

Member:
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    Moby Dick (FZJ-80)
    what would you think about running this kit with low psi and no fuel or computer mods, how low would you need to run it you think? and then eventually upgrade the fuel and get a piggy back.

20. Aug 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    really? A MKIII supra and the 7mgte?? cool man! i loved it..and miss it..can't wait for another..someday.

no possible. The wastegate that comes with it has a 8 lb spring. In other words the lowest psi you can run is 8 psi. you can get by with 4 though without an ecu piggy back. but this kit can't do 4. 8 is the lowest.

Products Discussed in

To Top