1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo Kit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Swimmerboy2112, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Aug 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    This is gaining more and more traction on the Toyota 4Runner forums, thought i'd see what you guys think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Kit-i...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d62d9ec9&vxp=mtr

The more and more I think about this the more I think that it would be possible to run a dual-charged system, 1 supercharger 1 turbo. Think about it, the TRD supercharger puts out roughly 7psi with the stock 2.37" pulley, go to the 2.2" pulley, and that's another 1.5-2psi. Go down again to the 2.1" pulley and you gain another 1-1.5psi over the 2.2" pulley. That's now a max potential of 10.5 psi. The URD 7th injector CAN support that amount of boost.

Running the supercharger on the stock pulley (7psi) and running the turbo kit on low boost (2-3psi) should be enough for the 7th injector kit to support both the turbo and supercharger since the 7th injector adds fuel when you boost more, it should be a linear ratio of boost to fuel.

Add a methanol injection in the mix and i'd say you'd be safe to run a twin-charged setup!

But like most of you, i'd swap out that turbo for something a little better.

Please add your input as i'd like to see what others think.

-Brian

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    What are you going to use for tuning?

3. Aug 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    The 7th fuel injector kit comes with it's own ECU which controls the fuel by throttle position and boost pressure.

4. Aug 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    URD kit has a tuner.

If you just got the turbo kit, you will have to get the tuner from URD and probably would want the O2 simulator and MAF calibrator.

OP, you should talk with Gadget@URD. He's got loads of tuning experience on the Tacoma.

5. Aug 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    You can NOT use the URD 7th injector kit to tune the cxracing turbo kit. It will have a TOTALLY different fuel map.

You will need something much more involved.

I've pieced together parts need for it..it's about 1200 bucks more or so plus custom wiring and tuning.

And if you want to offroad you'll need a new inter cooler and custom piping. So..4-600 depending.

Do a two charged setup. Your gonna need new forged pistons rods and crank and metal head gaskets. Plus. Super extensive fuel mods.

Why? Cause that kits minimum boost is 8psi as the waste gate is a 8psi spring.

Plus..why would you turn down the boost? :p

Oh another reason why you'd need a more in depth tuner is the turbo deletes the MAF. You have to run speed density which is better anyways.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  6. Aug 28, 2013 at 1:34 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Oh didn't know that about the maf delete. That's too much work. I'll stick with my supercharger. I don't know all that much about turbos. I'm here to learn!

7. Aug 28, 2013 at 5:12 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    You make my life easy. :D

8. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Other than the "cool I gots a turbo and a supercharger" factor, why would you want to run both at such a low PSI? I could see someone that has already gone all out building their engine and is running like 20 PSI turbo'd add an SC to pick up some low end grunt *cough* like the gentleman above me *cough* but other than that you can accomplish way more that what you have suggested with just the turbo.

9. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea turboing and NA motor..never easy. I come from supra's so i now the turbo talk.

I am going to try this kit out though..but like i said..gonna still take a lot of work to make it work well.

haha! :D

i gotcha :cool:

10. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

LCE used to make a race ready long block fro the 5vz..had forged internals and metal heads and such..was about 4 grand i think..i can't find it anywhere though..

but thats what you'd want to do to twin charge no doubt for about 20 total psi.

11. Aug 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    That's what I meant. He's talking about 10 psi total, which can easily be achieved by one or the other. Kinda unnecessary to do both

12. Aug 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yea i know. Would be pointless to run both without going all out.

although stock boost from the SC and the turbo could probably be doable with just metal heads..but..you'd be pushing your luck big time.

13. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I don't think LCE supports the 5VZ anymore :(.

14. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  15. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    It looks like they don't sell the long block anymore but there's still lots of 5VZ parts available.

Those 22RE race engines look neato :drool:

16. Aug 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

no Long block though :pout:

used to sell a freaking epic block with forged internals and metal HG and more goodies..was freaking sick.

Even though i said it was 4k in here already..i actually think it was 10k now that i really try and remember..probably why they dropped it. Freaking pricey!

17. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Matt Starr

Matt Starr Active Member

Member:
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 5spd TRD Off Road
    6" Fabtech Lift
    This has "bad idea" written all over it. The amount of plumbing in that itty bitty space would be obnoxious and ridiculous. Not to mention the money wasted on the second FI system could be spent on just an S/C or just a turbo system.

I've never really looked into to the rod strength, manifold space or even aftermarket availability of the 5VZ but I'd be willing to bet that for the cost of a TRD supercharger kit + pulley + 7th injector kit + turbo + manifolds + downpipe + piggyback ecu + intercooler + wastegate + plumbing + something else I'm forgetting, I could get close to 500hp, if not more, reliably, out of that engine with a nice, big, fat single. Although that does kinda depend on whats available for the 5VZ as far as cams, head gaskets, rods and pistons go. And depending on the strength of the rods, how the pistons we're cast and what kind of aluminum was used, you might be able to get away with using the stock pistons and/or rods.

Edit: Come to think of it... If I had that much money to throw into my taco I'd just get rid of that sorry excuse of a V6. I'd buy a 1UZFE, throw some Lextreme cams, valves and springs into it and hook it up to a nice stand alone. Hell, even a N/A 2JZ would be better than that pathetic 5VZ.

As a matter of fact, I can think of 10 Toyota engines off the top of my head that I would rather have in my truck than that 3.4L.
    I'm sorry, I'm ranting of topic. I digress...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  18. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    i don't think you could get 500hp from a turbo on our trucks. The power band is much too small and a turbo needed to get up there is gonna be a 67+mm inducer. Your power band would suck dick. so it wouldn't be worth it.

the kit CX racing makes would work with the TRD SC as the TRD SC just replaces the intake manifold and the TB is in the same location.

so yes you could use both with no plumbing issues. in fact im certain it would work very well. you would have an awesome powerband.

however the amount of supporting mods to be done to run both safely would be well over 10k.

19. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
  20. Aug 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Matt Starr

Matt Starr Active Member

Member:
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 5spd TRD Off Road
    6" Fabtech Lift
    My point exactly.
    For 10k you could buy an epic turbo system and still have enough money to completely rebuild the engine.

Some aftermarket cams, springs, valves, a forged crank, forged pistons, forged rods, thicker head gasket, studs, large injectors, rails, pump, stand alone, and ported heads and valves would COMPLETELY change the power band.

I didn't say it would be worth it, I just said its possible.

Products Discussed in

To Top