1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help!!! Weird problem with door lock!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jayyyg84, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    jayyyg84

jayyyg84 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    atomic city
    Vehicle:
    tacoKruizer
    toyo tech coilover
    Ok so I'll give some history to what happened originally n then now what is occurring. So out of the blue one day I go to open my door n my exterior handle on passenger side cracked under the handle. Ok no big deal, door was lil harder to open but that's bout it. Well now all of a sudden when the door is being opened from the outside, the lock will go down thus locking the door as you pull up the door handle. I took my door panel off to see if any clips had come loose n everything was fine. I'm stumped! I have a new door handle on order n hoping that's the problem being that it's cracked n it opens a little lopsided,, hope that makes sense. If anyone has experience this issue or something similar please be in touch with me, it's kinda embarrassing I feel since I have a date coming up n I wanna fix it before then!!!! Again thanx everyone for productive help n ideas!!

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    Eldowr

Eldowr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donavon
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    1999 ext 4wd 5 Speed
    Kenwood sound system
    Pull it open and see what's rubbing/touching while you pull the handle open.. Then try to secure whatever is loose with tape/crazy glue.

I have an issue as well.. if I use the key to unlock my truck from the driver side they gets stuck in the tumbler.. Real pain having to walk around to the passenger side to unlock lol

3. Aug 29, 2013 at 2:22 AM
    exminnesotaboy

exminnesotaboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maple Grove, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 TRD Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's / OME 881's / Wheelers 5 leaf pack / Level8 MK6/ 265/75-16 Bridgestone Dueler tires
    I had the same issue = door lock going down when you pull on the door handle. I thought it was my door latch/lock actuator combo failing(not cheap to replace), but I had my local mechanic take a look as my hands are way too big to get into that door cavity. He made some sort of adjustment in the linkage and problem is gone.

4. Aug 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    jayyyg84

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    atomic city
    Vehicle:
    tacoKruizer
    toyo tech coilover
    Exminnesotaboy,, do you recall if your lock also went down when opening with the interior door handle as well?? Or was it only the exterior door handle that caused it to go down? For me it's only the exterior door handle that's putting the lock down... I checked the inside of my door n all looks great! Everything looks free in movement. Do you recall as well what kinda adjustment the mechanic made? I can't see what would need adjustment, just my cracked door handle that needs replacement.

5. Aug 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    exminnesotaboy

exminnesotaboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maple Grove, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 TRD Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's / OME 881's / Wheelers 5 leaf pack / Level8 MK6/ 265/75-16 Bridgestone Dueler tires
    Yes, interior door handle as well. I remember having to hold up the lock to open it from inside or outside(if window open). I have remote locks so if I hit unlock a few times on the fob, I could usually get into it eventually.

I do not know what he adjusted/tightened/tweaked. I remember pulling off both door panels and not seeing anything accessible that looked out of place from the good side or bad. I have large hands and just knew I couldn't get in there. I did not have any trouble with my door handle like you do. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

6. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    CRiz

CRiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    Hey guys sorry to being up this old thread again but I have the same exact issue and I'm just curious if any of you guys figured out what the problem is.

7. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    jayyyg84

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    atomic city
    Vehicle:
    tacoKruizer
    toyo tech coilover
    Yeah man I figured my issue out! So for my fix I ended up just studying the linkage set up for the door lock and handle and kept opening up my door with the panel off and studying how everything worked. What I finally determined was that the wire linkage which snaps into the door handle needed to be bent a bit so that it wasn't over extending when opening n this locking my door while opening it. Took me 15 to 20 min of just looking at it and deciding which wire to tweak a lil bit. It's a lil hard to explain how the exact fix went but I think the gist of it is laid out.... Good luck and hope you figure it out!! Cuz it's a pain in the ass!!!

8. Dec 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    CRiz

CRiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    PHX , AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 2.7L
    alright thanks man i really appreciate it, I will give it a go this weekend sometime to try and see what i can do. I appreciate the help and ill post on here if i have any further questions! thanks so much for the help!

9. Jan 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    jayyyg84

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    atomic city
    Vehicle:
    tacoKruizer
    toyo tech coilover
    Hey joe I wanted to congratulate you on fixing that Fully Upside CocKED door.

Products Discussed in

To Top