Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Batter Light On??

Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Batter Light On??

OK,

So my engine was looking kind of oily, so i decided to spray some degreaser in there. after letting it soak a bit and then thuroughly washing my engine down, i went for a drive and my battery light, brake light are on, and my volt battery meter thing is reading lower than usual.. what is going on??
Old 03-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I saw your other post about this.....

I would have the alternator checked. Perhaps it's not charging the battery.
In the process of washing the truck - you could've dislodged some dirt/mud that relocated itself inside the alternator. You might wanna have the alternator brushes checked also (I think they still have brushes).
If the alternator is dirty inside - they don't work well.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
I say both the above posters are right.
But i wiould try the cleaning the battery and Alternator thing first.

See if that helps.

then go for the test.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
nope, alternator was fried, water did it in.

$500 installed with new belt, from mechanic
Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
nope, alternator was fried, water did it in.

$500 installed with new belt, from mechanic
is this because of the wash?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #6

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
allegedly

but it did happen the first time i started it after the wash
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Once again, always avoid the alternator when washing the engine. Also, keep the engine running when doing so.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #8

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
btw that was my buddies 90 not my truck. he used me account for some reason...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good to hear.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Also, keep the engine running when doing so.
That's news to me...why do you keep the engine running?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
That's news to me...why do you keep the engine running?
There are tons of reasons....If water gets into the alternator, the Alt. fan/cooling fins, will help to blow the water out. I just avoid the alt with any water. Never had an issue when washing the engine with the engine running, and avoiding the alt.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are tons of reasons....If water gets into the alternator, the Alt. fan/cooling fins, will help to blow the water out. I just avoid the alt with any water. Never had an issue when washing the engine with the engine running, and avoiding the alt.
Works for me, thanks. I had washed off engines in the past, never had any issues, but that makes sense. Good to know that one can still learn stuff at a ripe old age...
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #13

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
the only thing with the engine on is if the water does get to it, it can short circuit. thats what happened the my buddy(the guy who started this thread). if you wash it when it's off and give ti time to dry, there may be less chance of a short circuit. my .02
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
the only thing with the engine on is if the water does get to it, it can short circuit. thats what happened the my buddy(the guy who started this thread). if you wash it when it's off and give ti time to dry, there may be less chance of a short circuit. my .02
The enignes and electronics are mostly sealed. Just have to stay away from the fuse box, and alternator.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The enignes and electronics are mostly sealed. Just have to stay away from the fuse box, and alternator.
Wiring & connections aren't sealed. You have to be careful around anything that's electrical.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Wiring & connections aren't sealed. You have to be careful around anything that's electrical.
Ok. Perhaps I was being vague...and a little tired...They are water resistant. Many of the conectors (I have found) have an dielectric (or whatever it is) grease to help maintain a good contact and to keep moisture out. Maony conectors have a rubber seal to aid in keeping moisture out as well. Plugs are (for the most part) sealed. One of the reasons your engine doesnt short out if driven thru a puddle.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer to keep the engine running when I wash the engine bay also. But if you insist on washing it with the vehicle off, wrap a plastic bag around the alternator, just for some added security.