Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gonna buy a Tacoma soon, question about extended cabs

Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Toyota is on a distinguished road

Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna buy a Tacoma soon, question about extended cabs

Hello all, I'm gonna buy a Tacoma in the near future. My current daily driver is a '66 Mustang, but I'll be selling it soon. As much as I love it, I need something that will take me to the snow, bike trails and camping sites with ease. I'll hopefully have 8-9 thousand that I can spend for the truck. I will be getting a 4cyl, 5 speed, 4wd, extended cab.

I'm basically 99% set on the extended cab, but I had a few questions:

What are the main differences between the standard cab and extended? Do the extendeds weigh a lot more? Gas mileage much worse? Can the extended cab actually hold more people?(<<most important question) About how much longer are they? Does anyone regret getting a short cab as opposed to extended? & vise versa?

Does this site have a section for the 95 and earlier Toyota pickups?

I hope to get at least a 2001, but I'll have to get lucky. I'm thinking realistically with the idea of getting a pre-'01. I know there's obvious styling differences between the 2001-above and 2000-below Tacomas, but were there any major differences in the engines, drivetrain, frame, etc (besides the rust issue)

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon... -David

p.s. What are the max sig sizes?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
funboy is on a distinguished road
funboy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man, I dont think gas mileage and weight are going to be much of an issue in any circumstance, or the difference will be so very minimal that it isnt worth making a decision upon it. I have an 02 extended cab and it will fit 4 people all together (2 in the back) although I had 6 in it once. I think that any regular cab will only have front seats. The pre 2001 models might have a front bench seat allowing 3 people all together. Personally, I dont know any down side to having the extended cab instead of the regular cab, but if you want more storage, seats, etc, then go with the extended.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both regular cab and extended cab, there's no comparison. Extended cab gives you a lot more inside storage space for stuff you want out of the weather (unless you have a shell), you can put two people back there if you have to (they won't be too happy to be back there unless they're pretty tiny), and have a place for the dogs to ride...

I think the extended cab Tacomas are the perfect ratio of bed to cab, they look great!