Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

265/75 r16 Rubbing Frame (all stock)

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
cadeucsb is on a distinguished road
cadeucsb's Tacoma Gallery
265/75 r16 Rubbing Frame (all stock)

I just installed a set of 265/75 r16 Duratracs and am getting a pretty good amount of frame rub up front (not just at full lock). Write-ups seem to indicate that's is the max size without issue on a stock setup.

I have an 01 double cab and the stock standard 5 point twisty star rim.

any ideas?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of wheels are you running? Stock first generation wheels or something else?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same truck and had a set of 265/75 Cooper Discovers ATR on stock alloys and stock suspension and had the same rubbing on both sides. Mine was mostly at full lock, but w/ the aggressive tread of the Duratracs you will have more. Grab a pair of wheel spacers to really fix it if you'd like.

Bora makes quality spacers in many different thicknesses. There was a GB recently (its over now) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...p-buy-2-a.html
Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
What kind of wheels are you running? Stock first generation wheels or something else?
Not my wheels, but these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
I've got the same truck and had a set of 265/75 Cooper Discovers ATR on stock alloys and stock suspension and had the same rubbing on both sides. Mine was mostly at full lock, but w/ the aggressive tread of the Duratracs you will have more. Grab a pair of wheel spacers to really fix it if you'd like.

Bora makes quality spacers in many different thicknesses. There was a GB recently (its over now) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...p-buy-2-a.html
Yea, was thinking spacers too, just not sure how wide I need.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
well I bet you only need about 1/4" - 1/2" to clear the frame, but iirc 3/4" is the smallest they come.

now there are also these : http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/w...-wheel-spacer/ paired up with extended lug nuts

but personally I would not run those..
as in you wouldnt ANY spacer based on the age old spacers good vs bad argument or because those ones are bad quality?

Im not super excited to spend more money on this as this was supposedly the max size for a stock setup.

With those you linked, are they small enough to just run in the front and not notice the rear doesnt match? or gotta run 4?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I would NOT run the Wheelers spacers because they reduce the amount of thread on the lug, potentially preventing the lug nuts from seating fully/properly

I currently run Spidertraxx 1.25" (front only) on my 2nd gen OR alloys and have no issues whatsoever, trust them completely, and they look fine to me only on the front. Bora spacers are very similar and good quality. This type of spacer is secured to the trucks existing lugs, and have their own lugs which the wheel is attached to. When torqued properly w/ a dab of loctite they are solid as can be.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanna throw this in there also, it is not possible to run those 1/4 wheelers spacers with Toyota alloys, because they are not hub centric. Op, any hub centric wheel spacer like spidertrax or allpro or bora will work fine. I only have them on the front of my truck and it looks fine
Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Just wanna throw this in there also, it is not possible to run those 1/4 wheelers spacers with Toyota alloys, because they are not hub centric. Op, any hub centric wheel spacer like spidertrax or allpro or bora will work fine. I only have them on the front of my truck and it looks fine
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OP, I too put spacers on my front after moving up to 265/75/16 rubber...My problem was they were to close to the UCA's ..

I purchased .75" from Bora and if you go to their last Group Buy thread you will find pix of different set-ups..

Good luck ..
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Hmmm for as pricey as the Boras are, its a decent way toward a set of Pro Comp steelies. That seems like another adventure in fitment that might lead to headaches too tho.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Thinking about a set of these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-84-6883/overview/

and if necessary, the 1/4" wheelers spacer (linked wheels have 4" backspace).

any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I ran my 265/75s for two years before lifting. The previous owner had the for two years before too. It rubbed at full lock but I've never considered it a problem. Also with cooper discoverer ATRs. Maybe the duratrac rubs a bit more or your coils are more worn than mine were...but I doubt that. Mine were terribly worn.

But if its really bothering you, get some spacers or new wheels. I'd go for new wheels personally. More money but I don't like the idea of spacers...
Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I ran my 265/75s for two years before lifting. The previous owner had the for two years before too. It rubbed at full lock but I've never considered it a problem. Also with cooper discoverer ATRs. Maybe the duratrac rubs a bit more or your coils are more worn than mine were...but I doubt that. Mine were terribly worn.

But if its really bothering you, get some spacers or new wheels. I'd go for new wheels personally. More money but I don't like the idea of spacers...
I agree, given hubcentric spacers are the same price as the wheels I linked.

My coils could be very worn...I am the 3rd owner and 150k on the ODO. I am new to this Taco too, so hard for me to know what worn looks like compared to how it is currently.

I probably start to rub at about 80-85% of full lock. If it doesnt hurt anything, I may just hold off for some new wheels.

Would a 4.5" backspace be required to eliminate rub or would a 4" work? so much conflicting info out there and manufacturers seem to know less.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Stock is 4.5" BS. I had the same issue and solved it by going to a 4" BS. Now that I'm running 285s, I'm probably going to have to go with spacers.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Stock is 4.5" BS. I had the same issue and solved it by going to a 4" BS. Now that I'm running 285s, I'm probably going to have to go with spacers.
oh gotcha...so I was thinking about it backwards. So less backspace will push the tire away from the frame.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
yes, BS is the distance between the back of the rim and the back of the mounting flange.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
OP (or anyone), did you get this resolved?
I want to run 265 75 16 Duratracs on my stock 95.5
I know they will rub; and I don't want (and can't afford) to lift my truck

Will using a wheel with 4" backspacing, indeed, do the trick?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
not sure why, but they seem to rub a lot less than when they were brand new (a couple hundred miles later)...so I stopped worrying about it for now.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
stikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
stikle's Tacoma Gallery
How about doing the pinch weld mod? It's free and doesn't take too long to do. Maybe that will help - it did for me except at full lock and hitting a bump.