1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Braking/Axle Issue. Won't freely roll at slow speeds.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by raider90, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    raider90

raider90 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Alright guys, first time posting but long time reader. I've got a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L, Manual, TRD.

Recently, I was out having a little too much fun mudding and running through puddles, (monsoon season out here in southern Utah. :) ) anyway, I've been noticing that when I start moving there is resistance somewhere in the driveline. It won't roll freely and takes extra RPM to start. I suspect its related to the rear axle but i'm not positive. However, after the initial start and at higher speeds, it isn't very noticeable and can be driven. But occassionally, while moving slowly (parking lot speeds) and right after tapping the brake the rear tires will lock up and stop a little too fast, resulting in skids in gravel, wheel hopping while rock crawling and skids on pavement.

The newest revelation I had was this morning, I had let my battery die and had to push start it, it was extremely difficult to push and it almost felt like the harder you pushed the more resistance you would get. however, if you stopped pushing, it almost seemed to bleed away the resistance and start to roll very slowly. Again, after it had the momentum and started moving it seemed to be fine, it was just the initial start that seems to give it difficulties.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but I can do basic repairs and I'm quite good at taking things apart (getting it back together? different story). I took the truck to the car wash and sprayed out most of the crud out of front and rear brakes and that seemed to help a little, but the issue is still clearly there. I've been contemplating taking the rear brake drums apart to see if there is anything blatantly wrong, but I thought I might get an opinion from any of you guys. A few things I suspect is maybe the rear diff breather valve? i understand that is a weak point in the system and maybe I got water in the differential? Its also possible that its something to do with the brakes, or maybe its a different animal all together.

And yes, I did check the parking brake, before anyone suggests that! haha, thanks for the help!

2. Sep 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    philupngo

philupngo New Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4 V6
    None yet.
    raider90, I'm having the same issue. I think it might be the e-brake not fully disengaging, but will need to check to see if the cable is lubed and allowing the brake to release. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for posting, I've been scratching my head with the same problem. philupngo

3. Sep 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    lovedr79

lovedr79 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    04 taco 3.4 5spd.
    K&N filter, brush guard and KC lights, TRD
    ebrake bellcrank stuck. i was having problems with mine not working, i adjusted the shoes and the cable to find out that the bell crank was stuck on one side. i took the bell crank off and it was frozen, soaked it in PB blasted and cleaned it real good and now all is good.

4. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
  5. Jul 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    chelsea1tess

chelsea1tess Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    salt lake city
    Vehicle:
    2000 toyota tacoma 4x4
    I'm having this same problem... I tried to access the cite that Tipicotaco last gave, but it won't come up. I sure hope "Tipicotaco" and/or "Raider90" are still out there and checking this forum.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with forum members?

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

6. Jul 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 3.4L 4WD
    click on their name....the one in blue to the left and click send a private message.....and hope they respond ;)

7. Jul 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Mud in the rear drums

8. Jul 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    E-brake bell crank is stuck. It's a notorious problem with the 1st gen Tacoma. Take it apart and free it up with lots of PB Blaster...

9. Jul 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    chelsea1tess

chelsea1tess Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    salt lake city
    Vehicle:
    2000 toyota tacoma 4x4
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I'll check out that E-brake bell housing and hopefully that will do the trick. This has plagued me for months and I've taken it in to several mechanics and none of them could figure it out. Hopefully this will save me a trip to the dealer$hip. You folks are great!

Products Discussed in

To Top