Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Braking/Axle Issue. Won't freely roll at slow speeds.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
raider90 is on a distinguished road
raider90's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Braking/Axle Issue. Won't freely roll at slow speeds.

Alright guys, first time posting but long time reader. I've got a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L, Manual, TRD.

Recently, I was out having a little too much fun mudding and running through puddles, (monsoon season out here in southern Utah. ) anyway, I've been noticing that when I start moving there is resistance somewhere in the driveline. It won't roll freely and takes extra RPM to start. I suspect its related to the rear axle but i'm not positive. However, after the initial start and at higher speeds, it isn't very noticeable and can be driven. But occassionally, while moving slowly (parking lot speeds) and right after tapping the brake the rear tires will lock up and stop a little too fast, resulting in skids in gravel, wheel hopping while rock crawling and skids on pavement.

The newest revelation I had was this morning, I had let my battery die and had to push start it, it was extremely difficult to push and it almost felt like the harder you pushed the more resistance you would get. however, if you stopped pushing, it almost seemed to bleed away the resistance and start to roll very slowly. Again, after it had the momentum and started moving it seemed to be fine, it was just the initial start that seems to give it difficulties.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but I can do basic repairs and I'm quite good at taking things apart (getting it back together? different story). I took the truck to the car wash and sprayed out most of the crud out of front and rear brakes and that seemed to help a little, but the issue is still clearly there. I've been contemplating taking the rear brake drums apart to see if there is anything blatantly wrong, but I thought I might get an opinion from any of you guys. A few things I suspect is maybe the rear diff breather valve? i understand that is a weak point in the system and maybe I got water in the differential? Its also possible that its something to do with the brakes, or maybe its a different animal all together.

And yes, I did check the parking brake, before anyone suggests that! haha, thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
philupngo is on a distinguished road
philupngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider90 View Post
Alright guys, first time posting but long time reader. I've got a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L, Manual, TRD.

Recently, I was out having a little too much fun mudding and running through puddles, (monsoon season out here in southern Utah. ) anyway, I've been noticing that when I start moving there is resistance somewhere in the driveline. It won't roll freely and takes extra RPM to start. I suspect its related to the rear axle but i'm not positive. However, after the initial start and at higher speeds, it isn't very noticeable and can be driven. But occassionally, while moving slowly (parking lot speeds) and right after tapping the brake the rear tires will lock up and stop a little too fast, resulting in skids in gravel, wheel hopping while rock crawling and skids on pavement.

The newest revelation I had was this morning, I had let my battery die and had to push start it, it was extremely difficult to push and it almost felt like the harder you pushed the more resistance you would get. however, if you stopped pushing, it almost seemed to bleed away the resistance and start to roll very slowly. Again, after it had the momentum and started moving it seemed to be fine, it was just the initial start that seems to give it difficulties.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but I can do basic repairs and I'm quite good at taking things apart (getting it back together? different story). I took the truck to the car wash and sprayed out most of the crud out of front and rear brakes and that seemed to help a little, but the issue is still clearly there. I've been contemplating taking the rear brake drums apart to see if there is anything blatantly wrong, but I thought I might get an opinion from any of you guys. A few things I suspect is maybe the rear diff breather valve? i understand that is a weak point in the system and maybe I got water in the differential? Its also possible that its something to do with the brakes, or maybe its a different animal all together.

And yes, I did check the parking brake, before anyone suggests that! haha, thanks for the help!
raider90, I'm having the same issue. I think it might be the e-brake not fully disengaging, but will need to check to see if the cable is lubed and allowing the brake to release. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for posting, I've been scratching my head with the same problem. philupngo
Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
lovedr79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
lovedr79's Tacoma Gallery
ebrake bellcrank stuck. i was having problems with mine not working, i adjusted the shoes and the cable to find out that the bell crank was stuck on one side. i took the bell crank off and it was frozen, soaked it in PB blasted and cleaned it real good and now all is good.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
chelsea1tess is on a distinguished road
Name: bob
chelsea1tess's Tacoma Gallery
rear braking/axle issue - won't freely spin

I'm having this same problem... I tried to access the cite that Tipicotaco last gave, but it won't come up. I sure hope "Tipicotaco" and/or "Raider90" are still out there and checking this forum.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with forum members?

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
It's a surf spot not a house
LogCabins is on a distinguished road

Army: AGR Hawaii Army National Guard
LogCabins's Tacoma Gallery
click on their name....the one in blue to the left and click send a private message.....and hope they respond
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Mud in the rear drums
Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
welterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant future
Navy: HT1
welterbf123's Tacoma Gallery
E-brake bell crank is stuck. It's a notorious problem with the 1st gen Tacoma. Take it apart and free it up with lots of PB Blaster...
Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
chelsea1tess is on a distinguished road
Name: bob
chelsea1tess's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to all of you for your help. I'll check out that E-brake bell housing and hopefully that will do the trick. This has plagued me for months and I've taken it in to several mechanics and none of them could figure it out. Hopefully this will save me a trip to the dealer$hip. You folks are great!