Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

carrier bearing

Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Terrain
beechairplanes is on a distinguished road
beechairplanes's Tacoma Gallery
carrier bearing

I am new to the forum and also new to toyota's. I have recently purchased a 2001 tacoma 4dr 4x4 w/ 120,000 miles. after driving the truck home 250 miles from the seller I realized that the driveshaft carrier bearing had disintegrated. Is this an easy fix? I already own the part. m also taking the truck in tomorrow for a full tranny flush and filter. What do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
carrier berrings arent hard to do..Get a chiltons manual.

Id advise against doing the tranny flush unless its been done before. Some say that if it hasent been done, it could cause some major slipping.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Terrain
beechairplanes is on a distinguished road
beechairplanes's Tacoma Gallery
I dont understand that. Why would it create slippage if the system gets flushed and the filter gets changed? Wouldnt it be worse to leave old fluid in the tranny? Do you know what toyota recommends?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
HOT!!
hillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
hillbillytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i hear that all the time too about flushing the tranny a buddy of mine had it done to his f-150 and the tranny went to shit i know its apples to oranges but thats my 2 cents
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechairplanes View Post
I dont understand that. Why would it create slippage if the system gets flushed and the filter gets changed? Wouldnt it be worse to leave old fluid in the tranny? Do you know what toyota recommends?

they say new fluid "shocks" the internals. You can take it to toyota and see what they say. IF they say it will be ok, and it slips, then its on them
Old 03-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
a transmission flush with that many miles can be bad....really bad. it can cause all kinds of leaks and major slipping too, since the transmission is used to the fluid thats in there. that being said..................if it has been flushed in the past 50 or 60k miles, you may be ok for the flush......otherwise, drain and fill the transmission,and if you want...drop the pan and change or clean the filter. you can do a drain and fill 3 or 4 times and you'll have about 90% new fluid in there.

for the carrier bearing, not too bad to change..................hardest part is breaking the drive shaft bolts loose.