1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Right 97 Tacoma shock/sping choice??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Epicbauer, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    Epicbauer

Epicbauer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma
    ARB plate bumper
    I have a ARB plate bumper on my 1997 and I've noticed that my UCAs are almost pointing upwards rather than flat or down. So I think my stock struts have sagged from the age and weight.

So my question is, I've been looking into the OME 883 springs with the bilstein adjustable shocks as a combo that some other members seem to run and I was wondering if that will fit my 97? If so how much of a lift do you think I will get and what height should the shocks be adjusted to? I've heard somewhere that something in the 95.5-97 suspension is different than the 98-04 so I just want to make sure I won't have any fitment issues.

Any help on this would be really appreciated!!:)

2. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    I can't speak to the OME portion, but here's a couple of reference pics (more in my build thread):

I just had my 97 done. Bilstein 5100's and Eibach coils. They are still set to what they were delivered as (2.5-3") Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

3. Sep 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    cdj1

cdj1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Vidalia, GA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma
    King Extended travel coilovers, 5100 Shocks, Daystar shackles,OME Leaf Springs,255/85/16, front diff drop, RAT skid plates, 4.56 gears, LSD in rear, Aussie locker in the front, Front Range Offroad twin sticks, trail gear/ Bash Fab rear bumper, elite off road front bumper and sliders, warn m8000 winch, in cab winch control
    Dunno why you would mix brands. I have OME 883s with the nitrocharger sport strut. Hub to fender is 24.5" with 4cyl reg cab. Did not change when I put a plate bumper and winch on the front.

uploadfromtaptalk1378741969372.jpg

4. Sep 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    The front suspentions is the same form 95-04. So the OME coils and shocks will work great.

Its the rear leafs that are different if your getting full leaf packs. 95-97 tacomas have the same size of leafs as pre taco trucks. 98-04 are 3'' longer. 1'' for the front hanger and 2'' for the rear.

So if you want new Dakar leaf packs, you have to order leafs for pre tacos to fit. Or you can get Wheelers Alcans leafs.

OR relocate your leaf hangers and run any 98-04 leaf pack.

AALs fit everything the same.

5. Sep 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    OP: Where are you located? I'm getting some special leafs in a week or so... if you're interested in an incomplete Alcan pack.

6. Sep 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Epicbauer

Epicbauer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma
    ARB plate bumper
    I'm in BC, Canada Lumpskie. I just got my leafs re-arced and put billies in the back as well it's just the front that I need done now, thanks though.

I would have preferred not to mix brands as you said Cdj1 but I kind of jumped the gun when I bought billies for the back I got some for the front too. I originally planned to put them in with the stock coils but now I figure I'd be dumb not to put in new coils while I'm at it. I have read that some members mix brands because of a concern with the nitros so I'm not too worried about having issues.

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone have a suggestion of what height to set the billies to in the front?

Lovin the white Tacs btw. I had to settle for red and am regretting it. Certain panels are noticeably faded now.

Products Discussed in

To Top