1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95.5 and 96 3.4 tacoma TURBO problem!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by GioGuitarDude, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    GioGuitarDude

GioGuitarDude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gio
    Vehicle:
    96 TURBOCHARGED 5 speed X-cab 3.4 DLX tacoma
    Cold air intake
    Ok, I have a 96 3.4L 4x4 xcab tacoma. I'm rounding up everything I need to install a turbo on it. Here's the problem... on the 95.5 and 96 tacos, the ECU doesn't know how to compensate for boost, so it retards the timing and therefore causes the truck to die. I'm trying to figure out why and how to fix it without swapping ECU's.
    Before a discussion starts I just want to add a few things that are and are NOT going to happen, just so that the thread doesn't get contaminated with off-topic stuff:
    YES I'm going to have the truck dyno tuned.
    NO I'm not going to do Meth injection
    NO I don't want to make my truck a hot rod, just gain a little bit more power.
    YES I plan on upgrading fuel pump and injectors, but after I achieve a successful turbo build
    YES I have called Gadget from URD and spoke with him... with no real answer.
    YES I have read thread after thread after thread on site after site after site with no luck.
    NO under no circumstances will I consider trading my truck for a 97... it has sentimental value.
    NO I am not willing to just put some high flow exhaust system and cold air intake in it and call it good instead of actually boosting it.

Sorry if that comes off as rude or blunt, but I KNOW it can be done, and I know it can be done easily with the addition of a piggyback or some sort of wire or vacuum line hack... I'm just trying to find the guy that made that happen and could set that straight here once and for all.
    Much love and thanks for your time and input.

2. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    yota559

yota559 Active Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    K&N Drop in filter
    I'm in the same exact boat man.

I've talked to Gadget.
    I've tried searching Google.
    I won't switch to a '97 because of sentimental value.

Let me know if you find anything!

Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top