Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Roof rack.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
TimPall13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
TimPall13's Tacoma Gallery
Roof rack.

Alright guys need your help. I have a general idea of how I would but was told some people have done it already. I wanna put a basket on my 02 extra cab and really like the look of the gen 2 roof rails. I've looked all over and can't find anything. So have any of you modified the gen 2 rails to fit the roof of the gen 1? Or does anyone know where I can find a how to?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do they have roof rails for access cabs? I thought they only came on double cabs.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
gtdad66 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
gtdad66's Tacoma Gallery
will try to get a few pics of my yakima rack i had some bars made for my bed, set the rack over the bed and still have room under for most anything i want. had it made mostly for road trips and it sets in storage mostly but it will give you some options.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Do they have roof rails for access cabs? I thought they only came on double cabs.

They don't have them for the access cab so it involves cutting and I just can't swing the cross bars back. I was just told a few guys did it on here. Haha
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's such a small roof I can't imagine needing to slide crossbars around much. Just pick a place and drill 'em in.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

Yah that's what I'm gonna do just trying to see if anyone has done the cutting and trimming to make it work on the roof. Haha
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Im planning to bend out some 3/16 and drill a hole for a piece of tube.. and weld it all up and bolt to the roof.. probably use some 1-1.5" od tube.. but mine will run across the front and back of the roof instead of along the sides like the racks on 2nd gens
Old 09-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You have inspired me sir. I just bought a roof rack on craigslist from a wrecked blazer for $30. I'm gonna see what I can do this weekend with it
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Sweet post Picts if you can guys. Trying to find a rack I like and so far only like the look of the gen 2 racks but maybe you guys can help.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ill come back and post some down the road when I get to do it, hopefully soon! If you have an instagram follow me on there to keep up with buildup stuff as I don't get on here too often.. @BashFab
Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #12

Followed back! Youll be more likely to see something there than on here, no one is ever in my build and that's likely where id post it at
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #14

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The rack looks like it's gonna be a snap to cut down, The ends look like they just bolt onto the channels so I can take 'em off, cut the rails down, bolt em back on. My roof seems more curved than the blazer's was though, so I'll have to come up with some kind of thick gasket thing to put under the feet of the rack so it sits on the roof nice. I didn't mess with it much yesterday, but will start in on it this evening
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #16

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This is gonna be slow moving as I don't get much daylight after work anymore. Last night I managed to pull the "feet" off (it was just as easy as I thought it'd be) and get the rails cut down. This thing is gonna be silly-short because of the amount of space the feet take up, but oh well. Supposed to rain today, so maybe I'll work on pulling down the headliner to prepare for drilling since I can be inside for that.

Hopefully it'll be done this week sometime.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
gtdad66 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
gtdad66's Tacoma Gallery
Have some pics in my gallery now.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #18

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so silly-short was just too short, at its maximum extension the bars were only like a foot apart. So I abandoned that idea and have a new one. Don't give up hope yet folks, this weekend should yield results.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #19

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well I had to abandon my idea tonight, The blazer feet are just too long and flat to go anywhere on our curved roofs. I think I may just use one of em in the middle of the roof and then put a bed rack on that's the same height so I'll have 3 rails to carry stuff on.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Well I had to abandon my idea tonight, The blazer feet are just too long and flat to go anywhere on our curved roofs. I think I may just use one of em in the middle of the roof and then put a bed rack on that's the same height so I'll have 3 rails to carry stuff on.
Got some extension ladders to haul around?