1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof rack.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TimPall13, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Sep 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM
    TimPall13

TimPall13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3link SAS 02 SR5 Limited V6
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.
    Alright guys need your help. I have a general idea of how I would but was told some people have done it already. I wanna put a basket on my 02 extra cab and really like the look of the gen 2 roof rails. I've looked all over and can't find anything. So have any of you modified the gen 2 rails to fit the roof of the gen 1? Or does anyone know where I can find a how to?

Thanks

2. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Do they have roof rails for access cabs? I thought they only came on double cabs.

3. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    gtdad66

gtdad66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Front window tint, tool box, bed mat
    will try to get a few pics of my yakima rack i had some bars made for my bed, set the rack over the bed and still have room under for most anything i want. had it made mostly for road trips and it sets in storage mostly but it will give you some options.

4. Sep 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Lift: TrailGear 3link SAS with Fox 2.0 Coil overs in front. Custom Alcan Leafs with relocated Fox 2.0 shocks in rear. Sitting at 6in of lift. Armor: Relentless Fab Front bumper with home made hoops and Warn VR Evo 10s winch. Relentless Fab Rear bumper with swingout gate. Gears/Grip: 4.88 gears with ARB Air lockers front and rear. 35x12.5 Mickey Thimpson Baja Boss MTs on 17in Trail Ready Beadlock wheels. Lighting: 6000k 55w HID head lights in Retrofit Prejectors, KC Slim Light LEDs behind a Grillcraft grill and on CBI windshield mounts, And LED rock Lights. Performance: 6" deckplate mod, URD Crank Pulley, K&N air filter, ISR mod, and a AirRaid throttle body spacer, magnaflow muffler. Audio: Alpine speakers and sub running on a Alpine 5ch amp. All ran with Stinger wire kit, and a Pioneer AVH4100NEX DVD receiver. Extras: 15% Window Tint, Spray in bed liner, LineX coated factoey fender flares, Custom Roof rack/Track system, SoftTopper Canopy, Viair Dual 444c Onboard air with dual 2.5Gal tanks.

They don't have them for the access cab so it involves cutting and I just can't swing the cross bars back. I was just told a few guys did it on here. Haha

5. Sep 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    It's such a small roof I can't imagine needing to slide crossbars around much. Just pick a place and drill 'em in.

6. Sep 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yah that's what I'm gonna do just trying to see if anyone has done the cutting and trimming to make it work on the roof. Haha

7. Sep 13, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Im planning to bend out some 3/16 and drill a hole for a piece of tube.. and weld it all up and bolt to the roof.. probably use some 1-1.5" od tube.. but mine will run across the front and back of the roof instead of along the sides like the racks on 2nd gens

8. Sep 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    You have inspired me sir. I just bought a roof rack on craigslist from a wrecked blazer for $30. I'm gonna see what I can do this weekend with it

9. Sep 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sweet post Picts if you can guys. Trying to find a rack I like and so far only like the look of the gen 2 racks but maybe you guys can help.

10. Sep 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Ill come back and post some down the road when I get to do it, hopefully soon! If you have an instagram follow me on there to keep up with buildup stuff as I don't get on here too often.. @BashFab

11. Sep 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Okay sweet. I added you on Instagram.

12. Sep 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Followed back! Youll be more likely to see something there than on here, no one is ever in my build and that's likely where id post it at

13. Sep 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    If anyone else can help with my idea please let me know. It's greatly appreciated.

14. Sep 16, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    The rack looks like it's gonna be a snap to cut down, The ends look like they just bolt onto the channels so I can take 'em off, cut the rails down, bolt em back on. My roof seems more curved than the blazer's was though, so I'll have to come up with some kind of thick gasket thing to put under the feet of the rack so it sits on the roof nice. I didn't mess with it much yesterday, but will start in on it this evening

15. Sep 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    TimPall13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gresham Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sweet sounds great can't wait to see it!

16. Sep 17, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    This is gonna be slow moving as I don't get much daylight after work anymore. Last night I managed to pull the "feet" off (it was just as easy as I thought it'd be) and get the rails cut down. This thing is gonna be silly-short because of the amount of space the feet take up, but oh well. Supposed to rain today, so maybe I'll work on pulling down the headliner to prepare for drilling since I can be inside for that.

Hopefully it'll be done this week sometime.

17. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    gtdad66

gtdad66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Front window tint, tool box, bed mat
    Have some pics in my gallery now.

18. Sep 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Ok so silly-short was just too short, at its maximum extension the bars were only like a foot apart. So I abandoned that idea and have a new one. Don't give up hope yet folks, this weekend should yield results.

19. Sep 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    MowTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Well I had to abandon my idea tonight, The blazer feet are just too long and flat to go anywhere on our curved roofs. I think I may just use one of em in the middle of the roof and then put a bed rack on that's the same height so I'll have 3 rails to carry stuff on.

20. Sep 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Got some extension ladders to haul around?

Products Discussed in

To Top