1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tempermental Cyl 2 Misfire 2.7l

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jlb5035, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Sep 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    jlb5035

jlb5035 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Tint, Billet Grille, JL Audio and Focal stereo, maybe more
    I am having a misfire issue with my 2001 prerunner (california spec) w/ 223k miles. The CEL was throwing a P0302 so I assumed that since it is a high mileage truck and toyatas have a reputation for coils going bad that it was just a bad coil. I bought a new coil and replaced the old one and but it continues to misfire.

The unusual part about it is that the truck does not misfire when it is started after it has been cooled off completely. It will only misfire if you drive it to where you warm everything up then shut it off, let it cool for 15-20 mins and start it back.

After I replaced the coil and realized i still had a problem I swapped the coils between #1 and #2 to rule out getting a bad coil from the dealersip, cleared the CEL, started it and ran it (from cold) and it ran fine, but of course once I brought it back and let it cool for a little while the same misfire and P0302 code occur. My next idea to what it can be is the crank sensor?

Has anybody else had a similar problem or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. Sep 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    dorman68

dorman68 New Member

Member:
  3. Sep 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    You replaced the coil, but what about the plug wires and the plugs themselves?

4. Sep 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    jlb5035

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    I recently replaced the plugs 2k miles ago so they should all be fine, and I replaced the plug in the #2 cylinder a second time just in case the bad coil (or so i thought) had messed it up. I replaced them with OEM plugs.

Since my truck is the california spec it has 4 coils that sit directly on top of the plugs instead of 2 so there arent any plug wires, but all of the electrical connections to the coils are sound with no signs of corrosion.

If the fuel injector swap doesnt yield a result then I may just end up dropping it off with my mechanic since I'm running low on time to work on it. I was hoping for something simple but who knows I guess we'll find out.

5. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    While you do not have plug wires like the other types, there is still a boot and a coil type spring if memory serves, between the coil itself, and the plug. I would eliminate all ignition possibilities before digging into injectors or trying to test fuel pressure. It is the easiest system to test (ignition).

6. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Sounds to me like the injector is leaking fuel into the cylinder while shutoff (after running for a while, and fuel rail is under pressure). When its completely cold, the fuel has had time to evaporate, and does not mis-fire.

Are you any getting black smoke when first starting up?

7. Sep 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    jlb5035

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Problem has been solved (hopefully). We switched the #1 and #2 injectors and the problem followed to the #1 cylinder. So a new injector has been ordered and now we're just waiting for it to come in.

And to reply to tan4x4 I wasn't getting any black smoke at start up.

8. Jan 15, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    ThatGuy 90

ThatGuy 90 New Member

Member:
    This is exactly what happen to me. The coils and plugs were the originals and in bad shape. I replaced them, and still had the miss fire just as you described. Thank you for posting this. I was scratching my head with this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top