Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changing differential + transfer case fluid; Transmission fluid?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
geodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud of
geodude's Tacoma Gallery
Changing differential + transfer case fluid; Transmission fluid?

My 2002 2.7L 4x4 5spd is about to hit 90,000 miles. I've only owned the truck for a few years, and I'll assume the previous owner hadn't changed any fluids other than the oil, so i'll be changing out the Rear Differential, and Transfer Case fluids shortly.

My question is whether or not it would be wise to replace the Transmission fluid as well. It's a 5spd, feels smooth shifting, and no noises; so what concerns me is that I've seen that sometimes changing the transmission fluid can cause new problems, especially on trucks where the fluid hasn't been constantly changed.

Any advice?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
geodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud ofgeodude has much to be proud of
geodude's Tacoma Gallery
No objections, I guess it's a go.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodude View Post
My 2002 2.7L 4x4 5spd is about to hit 90,000 miles. I've only owned the truck for a few years, and I'll assume the previous owner hadn't changed any fluids other than the oil, so i'll be changing out the Rear Differential, and Transfer Case fluids shortly.

My question is whether or not it would be wise to replace the Transmission fluid as well. It's a 5spd, feels smooth shifting, and no noises; so what concerns me is that I've seen that sometimes changing the transmission fluid can cause new problems, especially on trucks where the fluid hasn't been constantly changed.

Any advice?
Changing transmission fluid on an automatic at high mileage can be a bad thing, but I've never heard of it being an issue with a manual. Even at those miles I doubt that changing the fluid would create an issue. Your call though...
Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do this. I have read on here somewhere that GL5 I believe could eat up syncros. So what is the best GL4 or GL5?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the thread jack but..why would changing the trans fluid on a auto be a bad thing? Went to my mechanic the other day and he said it was time for a change.. I usually do all my fluids myself so I told him don't bother.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
604YOTA, I think you would find that most people on here are talking about flushing a high mileage auto, not fluid changes.

Here is a link so you can see the reasoning.

Trans Flush
Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
geodude's Tacoma Gallery
Appreciate the info.
Thank You
Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any advice?
Quote:
No objections, I guess it's a go.
I'd say it's a good idea to change the oil in your (5-spd) Transmission, Transfer Case, Rear Differential, and Front Differential. They'll drain best if they're warm (i.e., recently run). Another important note is to open the FILL plug on each component BEFORE you remove the drain plug. That way, you KNOW you'll be able to re-fill what you drain. (Doing it the other way around can be an inconvenient and expensive lesson...) Finally, don't forget to replace the crush washers!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
geodude's Tacoma Gallery
Good advice, any opinions on changing out with full synthetics vs traditional after all those miles on traditional? I'm sure there's plenty out there
Old 09-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good advice, any opinions on changing out with full synthetics vs traditional after all those miles on traditional? I'm sure there's plenty out there
I'm sure opinions will vary but, FWIW, I'm a fan of full synthetic and run Amsoil in all my vehicles. Keep in mind 90K miles isn't "high" for a Toyota...
Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
STOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to all
STOCKTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a link to an awesome site that gives you step by step on what you want to do:http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...a_4runner_30k/
Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
geodude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCKTRD View Post
Heres a link to an awesome site that gives you step by step on what you want to do:http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...a_4runner_30k/
Very cool.
Thank You

Also, do all the drains have crush washers? I'd figured it would be wise to replace those where needed, possibly even replace some of the bolts themselves as they're pretty rusty on the heads.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #14

Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, do all the drains have crush washers? I'd figured it would be wise to replace those where needed, possibly even replace some of the bolts themselves as they're pretty rusty on the heads.
There are crush washers on all the drains and fills. Replacing the bolts is also a good idea if they're in bad shape.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
geodude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
There are crush washers on all the drains and fills. Replacing the bolts is also a good idea if they're in bad shape.

Thank you, got a quote from local Toyota dealer; roughly $16 for all fill and drain crush washers (they say gaskets).

After looking through the FSM it's looking like the approximate 3.7 Qt's of 75w90 GL-4(Transmission + Transfer Case) and 3.8 Qt's of 75w90 GL-5 (differentials) is going to cost me about $120 @ about $15 a quart. That's the price for Redline.

Seems like a lot for just the fluid. Anyone know what it would cost me at a shop to change out all these fluids? They're oil cost would be a fraction of mine I'm sure since they have it by the 55 Gal drum.