Front transfer case leak?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Central Oregon Member
therexinator is on a distinguished road

Name: Rex
therexinator's Tacoma Gallery
Front transfer case leak?

Hey guys,
Crawled under the truck for the hell of it today to find a few drips of oil on my skid plate (yay). Got to looking around and found oil around where the shaft comes out of the front transfer case. *Excuse any noob terms* I'm hoping that has a gasket of some sort, I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass either way. Hope the photos do it justice. Thanks!
Rex
Attached Thumbnails
Front transfer case leak?-img_0922.jpg   Front transfer case leak?-img_0924.jpg   Front transfer case leak?-img_0925.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alan
4OYOTER's Tacoma Gallery
That's your front differential. The shaft is your CV. CV will need to be removed to replace that seal. IMO, it's not very easy.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner316 View Post
That's your front differential. The shaft is your CV. CV will need to be removed to replace that seal. IMO, it's not very easy.
I'm pretty good with common sense but still noobish about the terms lol. Thanks for the info that gives me a place to start. I'm sure it will be a pain in the ass. It's not leaking very bad, do you think it's something to worry about unless it gets way bad?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alan
4OYOTER's Tacoma Gallery
Keep an eye on the level to get an idea of how bad it's leaking. Open the fill plug and stick your finger in. You should be able to touch the fluid easily with the tip of your finger
Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
I did the bearing in there and the seal together, got it from Toyota. Be careful not to tap it in all the way, it leaks if you put the seal in too far
Thanks for the warning. Any chance you have the part number laying around?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner316 View Post
Keep an eye on the level to get an idea of how bad it's leaking. Open the fill plug and stick your finger in. You should be able to touch the fluid easily with the tip of your finger
Thanks, will be checking it today. It's got to be a small leak because after three days I don't have a drop of oil on the concrete.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Central Oregon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Replace it. Not that hard. Just pull the cv and the seal will go in and out.
I'll attempt it this winter when I've got time. I'm replacing my rotors and front struts so that would be a good time to do it. Your Dad's truck looks sick by the way!