1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

check engine light?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sturg, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Sep 13, 2007 at 5:54 PM
    Sturg

Sturg [OP] Member

Member:
    Bangor, ME
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX 4x4 xtra cab
    today i was just heading down the interstate and my check engine light came on. nothing happened, it just came on and wont go off. the truck still drive and feels the same. what are the possabilities of what it could be? by the way its a 1996 5spd 4x4 4cyl. any help would be appreciated.

2. Sep 13, 2007 at 7:57 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Go to Autozone, Checker(Schucks or whatever) or Napa and get the code pulled and post it up then we can go from there. My best bet is an O2 sensor.

3. Sep 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM
    Sturg

Sturg [OP] Member

Member:
    Bangor, ME
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX 4x4 xtra cab
    will this cost anything to have them check the code?

4. Sep 13, 2007 at 8:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

they will check it for free.

5. Sep 13, 2007 at 10:40 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Gas cap not on correctly after a visit to the gas station perhaps?

6. Sep 14, 2007 at 3:50 PM
    Sturg

Sturg [OP] Member

Member:
    Bangor, ME
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX 4x4 xtra cab
    banshee was right on. i had the code checked and they said it was an o2 sensor. i guess the truck can run fine without the o2 sesor working, he said that there is no need to hurry. but when i do get around to fixing it does anybody know how much it will cost. i can do the labor myself.

7. Sep 14, 2007 at 3:58 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    It'll cost about $80 for the sensor. You can do it yourself, but spray down the nuts holding down the sensor with PB Blaster for a few days beforehand, don't be shy with the stuff. The 2 nuts should come off after the spraying, if not, do it again.

8. Sep 15, 2007 at 4:18 AM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    Mine was a rear O2 sensor.
    I bought it for $80 from a local parts store. It was a walker direct fit with the correct length wire, grommet and connector. The connector for the rear O2 sensor on my 03 2WD Taco was under the pax seat, mounted sideways, attached to the rear side of the forward seat mount frame. The nuts were rotten from sitting in a road salt filled heat shield so I brought it to a friends garage to have them put it in. He said it gave him a rough time, cutting the rounded nuts off.

Drove it for 8 miles afterwards and the light went out.

9. Sep 15, 2007 at 8:17 AM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I hate to say it, but check dealersip prices before you run to the local parts store. My engine light came on. I had Autozone check it(free). It was the Throttle Position Sensor. A.Z.'s price was around $80, some other part stores were over $100. I figured what the hell, can't hurt to check the dealership. To my surprise, the dealer had it for just over $50, and it was a genuine Toyota part.

10. Oct 23, 2007 at 8:03 AM
    thenrie

thenrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    I know this is an older thread, but I just saved myself a bundle by switch...no, wait...my check engine light came on about a week after installing an AFE air filter system. I didn't notice much change in the way the truck ran, so I ingnored it for a couple weeks, until I could get around to it. Anyway, I priced the sensor at $150. After reading a couple threads about the CEL and the air filters, I decided to try cleaning the MAF with carb cleaner first, and see what that did. Cleaned the MAF, then disconnected the battery for one minute to reset the computer. When I started up, the light was out and stayed out. Not only that, but I experienced a noticeable improvement in the way the pickup ran and in low-midrange torque. Before, I got pinging during acceleration and while cruising in 5th gear. I thought it was low quality gas, but it was apparently the MAF. I suspect the oil on the filter contaminated the MAF sensor, which then relayed erroneous signals to the computer, which then caused the wrong air/fuel mixture, which caused the pickup to run poorly and the CE light to come on. I now keep a can of carb cleaner in my pickup tool kit, just in case it happens again.

So, I saved a bundle by not having to buy a new O2 sensor.

11. Oct 23, 2007 at 8:10 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Don't ever use carb cleaner to clean your MAF sensor. Get some electrical contact cleaner that's plastic safe. Get a bottle of this and stash it away in your rig:

[​IMG]

Hamer95USA likes this.
  12. Oct 23, 2007 at 10:54 AM
    thenrie

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    sounds like good advice.

13. Oct 23, 2007 at 12:06 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    The dealership just got finished telling me that this was the problem with my truck's fuel economy (dropped from 25MPG average to 23MPG average). They wanted to replace my MAF for some un-godly amount of money. The truck has 25,000 miles on it - not 250,000. I am going to try clean it myself and see if that helps.

Do I need to just spray it on and let it dry, or do I need to wipe it off?

Thanks in advance.

14. Oct 23, 2007 at 12:49 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    They wouldn't do this under warranty?

15. Oct 23, 2007 at 2:32 PM
    thenrie

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    Somebody else suggested that we should not use carb cleaner, because of the plastic parts. He suggested an electronic parts cleaner that is compatible with plastic. He provided a pic of the can, but I forgot which thread it was on. Sounded like a good suggestion to me, although the carb cleaner didn't hurt my MAF with just the one application. I wouldn't suggest you soak it in the stuff, regardless. I just removed the air filter and sprayed it on the MAF while the truck was running. I had to keep a hand on the throttle, because the carb cleaner will kill the engine. There is a small sensor in the middle of the MAF that seems to be the critical part. I kept the rpms up a bit until I could see that all the cleaner had dried or been ingested into the engine, so I left no puddles in the intake system. Then I replaced the air filter and disconnected the car battery for one minute to reset the computer. That's all it took.

Again, I'm sure my trouble was due to the oils used on the new AFE air filter. It's been almost a month since I installed it, so I'm pretty sure it should be fine from here on out.

By the way, the previous post gave a good suggestion. Your MAF should be covered under warranty, even if you are not the original purchaser. If they gave the diagnosis and prescription, make 'em eat it. That's why people buy cars under warranty!

16. Oct 23, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

just spray and let dry, then reinstall......never touch the "bulb" or head of the sensor, as they are very delicate and can break easily.

17. Oct 23, 2007 at 10:58 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
  18. Oct 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Yeah, they won't cover it under warranty because it is caused by the AFE filter - they can prove that. I am the original owner (25,000 miles in 10 months). The technician suggested that I clean it myself. He said that it wouldn't cost but a few dollars, and Toyota just says to replace it. So, if they had done anything it would have costed a shinny penny.

I have not had the chance to pick up some cleaner yet. Where should I go (AutoZone, RadioShack, WalMart?)...

19. Oct 24, 2007 at 9:35 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    AutoZone should carry it, if not then Pep Boys definitely will, that's where I got my can from.

20. Dec 17, 2007 at 12:06 PM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    They wanted upwards of 400 dollars for the bamk one sensor one in my 01 tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top