Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'02 taco 4x4 steering issue

Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Shabutie is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
Shabutie's Tacoma Gallery
'02 taco 4x4 steering issue

Hey guys, before I bring it in I was wondering if anyone has advise. My steering is loose and making a worn out clunking sound when I go over bumps. Tie rods, ball joints and RIGHT steering rack busing all new/good. Any advice?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

Note: my left bushing is unknown but I know you have to replace steering rack for that and I dont know how to tell if its messed up
Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Actually you just order a set of polyurethane energy suspension bushings which replace all 3. Replacing one doesnt fix anything.

Note: Im in the same boat and and im pretty sure the rack has had it period. They are not all that expensive to replace, you can get a refurb with lifetime warranty off ebay for like $250
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Actually you just order a set of polyurethane energy suspension bushings which replace all 3. Replacing one doesnt fix anything.

Note: Im in the same boat and and im pretty sure the rack has had it period. They are not all that expensive to replace, you can get a refurb with lifetime warranty off ebay for like $250
Shows how much I know, I thought there was only two haha. Im crawling under it in a second. Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the first gen how to link, the rack bushing replacement is in here. Give you an idea where they are anyhow. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #7

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Well im gonna get ES sway bar bushings soon, they look pretty bad. But my rack has a lot of play in it. Think i may weld the slip joint in the column up first and see what that does before i replace it.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Here is the first gen how to link, the rack bushing replacement is in here. Give you an idea where they are anyhow. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html
Ill look at it. After some looking and research my other two bushings are shot, I work for Toyota and my mechanic said they can't replace driver side bushing without the entire steering rack, so I assumed I couldn't replace it but what he meant was Toyota doesn't make them without buying the whole rack but I can buy aftermarket ones for $30, so I'm buying them and doing it my self. If that's not the problem they needed to be replaced anyway.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
do you still have your sway bar on? mine was clunking like crazy before I permanently removed it.

I replaced my rack bushing w/ ES ones a couple months back and it tightened up the steering quite nicely.
Yeah, it's still on. I'm not intense wheeler, just camping/hunting trips so I'm keeping it lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Ill look at it. After some looking and research my other two bushings are shot, I work for Toyota and my mechanic said they can't replace driver side bushing without the entire steering rack, so I assumed I couldn't replace it but what he meant was Toyota doesn't make them without buying the whole rack but I can buy aftermarket ones for $30, so I'm buying them and doing it my self. If that's not the problem they needed to be replaced anyway.
Get the energy suspension bushings from wheelers for like $18. Its not a tough job, just a few standard tools and i think i used a C clamp and a socket.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
do you still have your sway bar on? mine was clunking like crazy before I permanently removed it.
This. Check the sway bar bushings for looseness. Check the end links play or rough movement.