1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission fluid change on old transmission good or bad idea?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by aduke02, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    aduke02

aduke02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    SR5 Offroad package
    I recently purchaced a 5spd 99 SR5. It has a bit over 219,000 miles on it and has been running (Almost) fine since I bought it. It sometimes hesitates shifting into 3rd and doesn't always want to get into reverse. I want to replace all of the fluids so I can start with an accurate baseline as to when they were last replaced. This being said I am a bit unsure about replacing transmission fluid. (or rather gear oil in my case) I checked the fluid level today by removing the fill plug on the trans case. The fluid is brown in color but still transparent and smells kinda funny. I have heard conflicting things about brown smelly fluid. Some people say to replace it and others say that the particulate is what's making the transmission run. Being as though the transmission hasn't been replaced and is working mostly ok I don't want to do any damage. What do you think? Is it ok to change the transmission fluid or should I not and hope for the best?
    Thanks,
    Alan

2. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    why not drain half and mix in half new fluid? you get to keep some of the particulates and have some new fluids too? makes sense to me but im sure someone will call me out on this. good look on gettings your answer OP

3. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    You say "gear oil in my case" and "removing the fill plug on the trans case". So you have a standard and not an automatic, right?

If it is a standard, then you can drain and refill with the specified fluid in your manual. You already pulled the fill plug, so you know it will come out. Just drain and refill.

If it is an auto, then just drain the pan and refill. This way you only change some of the fluid. Do this enough times (some do it with oil changes) and your fluid is refreshed, but you didn't shock the trans.

Try using search and you will find threads on changing standards (manuals) and automatics.

4. Sep 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    aduke02

aduke02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    SR5 Offroad package
    I guess I forgot to mention that it IS a manual.

5. Sep 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    change it

the myth is autos go bad after a change of the fluid

6. Sep 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    nswsparky

nswsparky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '03 TRD, SAS, ARB's F/R, Atlas 4 speed
    D44, SAS, 3 link coilovers, ARB's, Ford 8.8, Atlas 4 speed, cutting brakes.
    change it, I would say even change it in an auto.

7. Sep 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    Do it...

8. Sep 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

Autos go bad after a change when they are improperly "power flushed"... the process shoves things into places it was never intended to be.

A proper, complete "flush" would consist of disconnecting the trans cooler, running the engine with the trans being cycled through the gears, capturing the fluid exiting the trans, and replacing it with new fluid being added to the other side of the break in the line.

The transmission itself drives the fluid replacement, and cycling through the gears completely flushes the valve body.

I would have this done on a trans with over 100k that has never been serviced. If you are in SoCal, the only guy I trust to work on my trans is Mike Loverich at Inglewood Transmission in Fullerton, CA (shop used to be near LAX, thus the name).

On a trans that has been serviced regularly, all that is required is to simply drain and refill the pan... about 4-5 quarts.

9. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    gthupman

gthupman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB Super White Offroad
    on a 2012 auto, with light towing and some mountain driving, how often would you recommend simply draining and refilling the pan? would you replace the filter and drop the pan everytime also? if not how often? Perpetually performing this service theoretically should never require a complete flush if done often, correct?

10. Apr 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM
    lipster

lipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 3.4 auto TRD
    License plate frame
    You say (OP) that it smells funny.
    Have you smelled fresh gear oil?
    That will smell funny as well.
    Having said that, I would still change it out.

11. Apr 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    This! Definitely change it. Don't power flush it, just flush as described. Clean fluid is always a good idea!....

12. Apr 28, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Really? Why flush it at all if you're going to leave some bad with the good! The purpose of a flush is just that, to flush out the contaminants.

I don't buy into the idea of a power flush on a high mileage tranny as some of that crud actually does some good by taking up the tolerances between rotating parts and to remove them may create an unfavorable result. But I do like the idea of a "drain and fill."

After the 1st drain and fill, drive your vehicle and get the fluid up to operating temp and then drain and fill a 2nd time. I've gone so far as to do this a 3rd time before I felt comfortable, but you do what you have to do. And yes, it can get pricey but worth the effort.

13. Apr 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    It's good practice to "baseline" any 100-150K+ mileaged used vehicle that you purchase. That means replacing all fluids and high service filters. It puts your mind at ease as far as a start point to watch things. Windshield washer fluid? sure,,who's to say the previous owner didn't water down the funky colored stuff that is in there,,, as the freezing point outside rushes into the low doubles.

Yup, I do brake and clutch fluid as well every 2-3 years.. If you don't have a pressure bleeder,,find a shop that does and get quotes.

If your auto trans has lived it's life on a regular power flush during service intervals,,then good for you. If it hasn't,,then let it be or just do as described above, flush only with trans fluid changes back to back.

Dino gear oil turns to semi-heavy black molasses when it fails. And it stinks waaay worse than cooked auto fluid. you'll know immediately when it does. Lots of mileage can be put on gear oil, compared to auto fluid.. I went 60K before swapping them all out,,but I was/am the 1 owner.

14. Apr 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Not a myth with 1st gen autos, the A340F is a good trans but is fussy about maintenance, do a drain & fill, no flushing unless done correctly & 2nd gens sealed no access transmissions are supposed to be a complete flush IIRC...

This...

15. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    A buddy rebuilds twin pin Harley's and Honda's. He's pumping engine oil in one side and out the other on first startup. He puts 5 gallons thru them as they sit there and idle. Flushing all possible contaminants and grit right out, ring seat metals, lubriplate type greases, bits and specks, ect.

Same principal and end result basically, but the only way to be absolutely sure.

Sales dude was trying to talk me into a auto in 99. Glad I passed.

16. Apr 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    toastyjosh

toastyjosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern New mexico
    Vehicle:
    95 dark green taco(sold), 2005 chevy 2500HD duramax
  17. Apr 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Yeah but see the difference is you don't wait for oil to heat up & expand like trans fluid does, plus ATF is 100% detergent, i dunno, what I DO know is that I've had automatics in the past that i never so much as checked the trans fluid & never had an issue . These are touchy as hell, but yeah I almost did the conversion to a standard when looking at $3400.00 for a complete rebuild, ended up with a great used one for about a $1000...

18. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Your conversion would have been cheaper,,once shopped around.

But understandable with the $1000 find, and it bolts right in place.

$3400. Holy Shit. Probably depends on who was on the rebuild table that day.

Products Discussed in

To Top