1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire Lock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by penzt8, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sep 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    penzt8

penzt8 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 stock 4wd
    I attempted to remove the spare tire on my 01 Tacoma for the first time. I've bought this truck earlier this year. I found that it has a spare lock and no key in the tire tool kit. I found a picture of the lock and hope I can find a key. Does anyone know if there are different keys or do they use the same key pattern for all these locks?

Tacoma_spare_lock.jpg

2. Sep 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    bmka87

bmka87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    looks almost the same as a locking lug nut pattern? Maybe an autozone, napa, or maybe even walmart?

3. Oct 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    ebbs15

ebbs15 Lord Winchester

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 Lexus GX470
    Go to the toyota dealership... my dad recently had the key lost for his tundra by the shop when they fixed his tire and replaced his spare... cost him about $50 but they were able to give him the part# and the website to order it (don't know why they couldn't order it for him)
    -Brandon

4. Oct 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    Toyota dealers have a master set of keys for these spare tires. My truck didn't have a key so I went and they lowered the spare for me. Instead of buying one, they told me they could take it off and the regular jack tool would lower it. I went that route and they took it off. It just prys off with some elbow grease.

I also watched them do it on another truck with the spare in place. It is a PITA, but two guys pried it off.

5. Oct 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I don't have anything to offer than, holy crap your truck is clean

6. Oct 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    My truck (recently bought) had that lock w/o the key. I used a long, thin-bladed flat head screwdriver to wedge in the key hole, while my buddy pushed up on the spare i spun it counter clockwise to get it down. Worked like a charm.

7. Oct 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    penzt8

penzt8 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 stock 4wd
    I ended up taking it to the dealer service department. A few months ago, I had my truck in for a recall on the spare tire holder. The service receipt says they performed an inspection and functional check. So my question to them was, how did you do the functional check if there's a lock on the tire? The service manager told me that the mechanics have a master key set. So they bring out the key set and guess what? none of the keys fit my lock. So, once again, how did they functional check the spare tire holder? It turned into an interesting conversation. Eventually, the mechanic was able to remove the lock and I was on my way.

8. Oct 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    Jefferdy

Jefferdy Active Member

Member:
    HeloTXs
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4 4x4 5spd XCab
    Okay, so for ONCE I can contribute and (hopefully) help someone out who is in the same situation I was in! McGard is who made those infernal lock/key combos, and here is their full contact info:

McGard Headquarters, USA
    3875 California Road
    Orchard Park, NY 14127-4198

1-800-444-5847

Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm EST

Best case scenario, you have all docs from the original owner and in there is the McGard "ID Registration Card," as pictured on this page:

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/customer-service/replacement-parts-ordering-information

Call these folks at McGard and give them the info on that card. IF you don't have that card, the VIN may suffice. Hopefully (doubtfully?) the OO may have kept all that stuff (but lost the damn spare key!). There was another 99 Tacoma owner in my apt complex that also had the spare tire key and was kind enough to let me borrow it. Guess what? Even though they look AMAZINGLY similar, they are different enough to not work from truck to truck. Imagine my disappointment. So I dug through all my owners manuals, original window sticker, etc., and finally found that damn ID Registration Card (which had never been filled out and mailed in, but had the ID number they need on it).

I'm going to assume, however, that you do NOT have that card, and as such have to call them anyway (800-444-5847, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Eastern time) with your VIN and a major credit card handy. If it REALLY comes down to it, you can sneak a camera between the bumper and your spare, turn the flash on, and take a straight-on shot of that stupid key/lock thing and email it to them, along with your VIN etc.

Anyway, I called them with my info, paid them by CC, and they had the replacement key to me within the week. If you have the means, get that stupid lock taken off and (if you must lock it) lock it with a cable and combo lock or something. Otherwise, just leave it plain-jane...b/c who gives a crap about a steelie wheel and a road tire, right?! Probably some lowlife POS does, but replacement cost is negligible...and you can lock it with the aforementioned cable solution for next time. :D

I sure hope this helps save you some asspain, penzt8. Good luck & keep us posted!

EDIT: Okay, disregard penzt8, but hopefully this helps someone else...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    RON_TRD Sport likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top