1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My $65 Bed Bar/Rack Build!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by therexinator, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Oct 5, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    therexinator

therexinator [OP] Oregon Member / IG: reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    I promised my fiancé I wouldn't modify this truck... I lied.
    **Okay so had I actually paid for the cost of metal this wouldn’t have been 60 bucks, but hey, it was still a ton of fun and I really like the way it turned out.

We live on a 2000 acre farm and this year we “retired” our Kawasaki Mule 1000 sideXside. It actually retired itself. I got to looking at the roll cage on it the other day and thought with a little creativity I could turn it into something cool. So here’s the build:

A 1990 Kawasaki Mule 1000:

[​IMG]

Got the rack unbolted from the Mule and sized it up in the truck (definitely in need of some cutting):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut the feet off and ground them down to be welded later:

[​IMG]

Measured many times and cut 18” off the main bar, which put the bar in the back level on top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I welded the feet back on, got some bolts, painted it, and voila:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on getting a LED flood/spot combo bar for the top and have some 18w LED flood lights going out the back, my amber directional bar will be mounted on the bar just at my bed line. And just for the hell of it I may put some lights out the side (zombies). One thing to note is that I could mount a cage to the top of it just by using U bolts. As far as mounting it in the bed, I was only able to get 8 out of 12 bolts in due to the bed cross bar and the front of the bed being angled like it is, I did however make myself some drain holes up front and a wire hole to run out of the bed and into the firewall on the back of the cab for lights and stuff. The rack is really solid, no vibrations or anything. Hope you guys enjoyed, and if you see an old Mule for sale, something to consider.
    Total cost was $45 for paint, $20 for the weld, and about three hours total time.

2. Oct 6, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Kinda hard to toss a 4x8 piece of plywood in there, I think I would have made it a bit wider. Good job of recycling though.

3. Oct 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    therexinator

therexinator [OP] Oregon Member / IG: reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    I promised my fiancé I wouldn't modify this truck... I lied.
    Yeah had I had some more time I would have done some other things to it. That back section that mounts behind the wheel wells unbolts right out thankfully so I also can just have a "normal" bed rack if needed.

4. Oct 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    I like it, very resourceful. Reminds me of the roof rack I just built for my x-cab

Products Discussed in

To Top