1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Ext Cab 4x4 $1500

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mossyoaks, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oct 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    mossyoaks

mossyoaks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    Locally advertised just now on CL.
    5 speed V6 SR5 w/209K miles. Recent timing belt. Working A/C.
    Needs O2 sensors and headliner is droopy.
    A few dents but no rust. Will need tires for extended trips.
    $1500 asking price!

My 06 Reg Cab A/T has 52K and is paid for. Only oil changes and gas so far. Best vehicle ever!

Are these 1st gens as reliable as the 2nds tend to be?

2. Oct 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    I think you should be asking if 2nd gens are as reliable as 1st gens.

That's a great deal, check for frame rust and leaky ball joints. 1st gen thing.

Oh and the plastic on the driver seat.
    Damn that plastic on the driver seat.

3. Oct 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    since this 1st gen is at 206k. You'll need to pay for some replacement parts im sure.

New water pump, timing belt, all new fluids, tires by the sound of it, probably suspention, the 02 sensor i guess..

Things to check at also the Ball joints, tie rods, steering rack.

But other then that. For 1500, be a perfect project/trail truck.

1st gens are VERY reliable.

4. Oct 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    Luckily, I was the first to see his CL ad. Turns out to be a Marine deploying on short notice next week and just needed to move it. Originally a NC truck and he is 2nd owner. No mud or salt. Just honest hiway miles and light off-road hunting. A few dents here and there. The headliner is toast around the moonroof but the rest of the interior and cloth split bench seat is clean. Not missing any plastic! New tires w/less than 2K miles. Natural white. 3.4L 5 speed w/recent timing belt. Even has a Kobalt tool box!

I'm a devoted Tacoma owner and have enjoyed my 06 Reg cab (bought new off the lot). Only has 51K miles since I'm retired and stay pretty local. Just need to pull my Whaler to and from the boat ramp 2 miles away!

The tough decision will be which Taco to keep! Love the look of the little cab on my 06 and my 80 y/o mother can drive it (AT) but wish I could recline a bit on those rare trips out of town. Plus, having a 4x4 is just badass and will come in handy if the sh*t hits the fan! (hurricanes, mudslides, zombie apocalypse, etc.)

I'll be going through the forum gathering info and getting ready to inspect/repair the new truck. Thanks for all the pointers so far!

I'll post some photos after we seal the deal tomorrow.

5. Oct 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Wow..great find man.

Keep em both man. Turn the 1st gen into a weekend warrior camper truck.

6. Oct 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Sounds like a scam to me. In my experience trying to find my truck on CL, 60% of postings were scams.

7. Oct 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

You got it backwards dude....:cool:

8. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    Totally agree! I think Tacomas are the number one vehicles used in our area CL "fake" ads.

I was excited to see a local phone number, as well as, a familiar apartment complex in the background in this ad to let me know it wasn't BS.

Why would anyone respond to an ad w/contact info xxxxxx@gmail.com listing a 02 Double cab for $3245?? :confused:

9. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    So, stumbled on the infamous "frame rust recall/ buy back" that Toyota issued for all 95-2000 Tacomas. I'm stuck here at work and won't be meeting the owner to buy the truck till tomorrow. I can't imagine that this one will have any frame rust (NC/SC)?

And since it is a 1999 model, it may very well still be within the 15 yr. in-service window. Crazy! Should I be hoping for frame rust??! Naaaaaa!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1406

10. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    it could have frame rust yes. always look.

toyota will either buy it back or replace but only if the rust is so bad if you hit it with a hammer it goes through the frame.

11. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    Is there a restriction on length of ownership in order to qualify for the buy back (if the frame fails inspection)? For instance, buy the truck tomorrow and have the inspection done the next day. (assuming the title has been transferred)

Depending on date of service, a 1999 model may be getting to the end of the 15 year grace period.

12. Oct 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM
    TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes Too Drunk To Taste This Chicken

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '01 Double Cab 4x4 V6
    OME Lift, 285's
    It sounds like a scam. If the guy can't meet you in person and wants you to ''transfer funds'' or something along those lines, back out immediately. It's all bullshit.

EDIT: Nvm, sounds like you found one hell of a deal.

Also if the frame does fail rust inspection doesn't Toyota buy it back for 150% of retail value? I'd be hoping for rust if i were you...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    There's something very wrong about praying for rust! But yeah...that would be ONE HELL OF A DEAL!

Either way, I win!

Why does it feel like Christmas Eve?!

14. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I don't think so

15. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    is it a reconstructed title or something? theres gotta be a catch somewhere...

16. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    Not that he mentioned.

Not everybody is online and on vehicle-specific forums like this.

I've been a member of TW a long time, and until this post, never saw the frame rust/buy back threads. Otherwise, I bet I would have been looking for rusty first gens to buy!

Chances are good, this one is intact. I'll post back the findings!:)

17. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    I guess i'm just trying to figure out why he'd price it at roughly 1/4 of its values though.. even if he was in a hurry to sell it he could be asking way more.

good luck though!

18. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:57 AM
    mossyoaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Beaufort, SC
    1.Busy US Marine in a pinch to PCS. A vehicle can be a big hassle to store and/or ship. He's headed to Japan.

2. Although the body looks rust-free from the 8 lowres cellphone pix he posted on CL, there is a dented front left bumper and another dent low on the bed driver's side. Plus the moonroof/headliner is fubar.

3. Prolly need some front end work as the 'new' front tires have some outer edge wear.

4. And to a non-Taco loving driver, 200K+ miles is a lot.

He knows he priced it 'to move'. And move it did! Luckily, my job affords me the opportunity to monitor our local CL. This is one of those, run, don't walk deals! Luckily, he posted a phone number that I was able to call and leave a voice msg, as well as, send a text.

I'm just glad he called me back. He pulled the ad off CL right away after we spoke. We'll meet at our mutual bank this morning. Should be a smooth transaction!

19. Oct 7, 2013 at 3:07 AM
    Minnetacoma

Minnetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sr5 with oe sunroof
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db
    Lucky find

20. Oct 7, 2013 at 3:45 AM
    mjm540ii

mjm540ii Ding Dang Dee

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oxford, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport AC V6
    Fog light mod, interior LED's, illuminated switch, B110 5100's in the rear, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500's, 4X Innovations sliders, rear diff breather mod, painted rocker panels, bhlm, yellow wire mod, CB, Wheeler's 2"aal, Allpro diff skid, ubolt flip, LR UCA's, 885X's w/ 13mm spacer on 5100's, Spydertrax spacers, Relentless IFS/ mid/ T case skids, 255/85/16 KM2s, block heater, DTRL mod, T2 eyelids, Wheelers Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines, ATO shackle flip kit,1" 4Crawler BL, Elite fr plate bumper, Flyzeye LEDs, Drilled and slotted rotors, 20" LED bar
    Wow! Great find, be sure to keep us updated!

Products Discussed in

To Top