1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A couple issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by offrdmania, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    offrdmania

offrdmania [OP] Taco Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    I am having a couple issues on my 96 tacoma 2.4 automatic. The first one is that sometimes I will turn the key and nothing happens. The lights on the dash come on but then there is silence. Not sure if it helps but ill wiggle the key, turn the steering wheel back and forth, rock the shifter on the column and then it will start right up without hesitation. Could it be ignition related, steering wheel lock related, neutral safety switch related, etc? Before I drop money into it trying to figure out what it is, I want to get your opinions.

The next issue is when the truck is up to temp on long sustained runs and then I shut off the engine. Ie, when stopping at a gas station. It take a while for the truck to turn over again. When its cold it starts right up no problem and around town no problem. Could it be a dirty MAF or an intake temp sensor?

2. Oct 8, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    offrdmania

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    A whole day and no answers?

3. Oct 8, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    First issue, I got nothing sorry man. Second issue, I'd change the plugs, clean the MAF, and if the radiator fluid has been in there a while I'd do a flush.

4. Oct 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    My truck had the same issue (first one you mentioned). I fixed it by replacing the starter relay. Got one from a picknpull yard. Try that first.

5. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    offrdmania

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    Ill try that Tam4x4. Thanks. Im just afraid that a non OE Toyota part might be junk unless I can find a Denso somewhere

6. Oct 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Why would you even think about a non-OE part? Lots of Toyotas in the wrecking yards. I've noticed that most popular Toyotas ( Tacomas, Camrys, Corollas, etc) in the same generation use the same relays. I always carry spare ones for the starter and EFI . Relays at a picknpull are about $5 .

7. Oct 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    offrdmania

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    Actually, I just found a guy on the bay selling used ones for $3 each. I bought 3 in case one or more are DOA.

8. Oct 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    offrdmania

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    Changed out the relay and it is still intermittent. Does the key complete a circuit in the ignition? The key is pretty worn. Could it not be touching and making a connection?

Products Discussed in

To Top