Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen differences?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
interesting. So wa the 2rz a 5 lugger motor and 3rz for 4x4s?
Yup, that's the only reason I got a 5 lugger. I wanted the 2.4 for fuel economy (which was a little disappointing and I wish I would've at least gotten a 4x4)

Man, 2 wrongs in a row. Get your shit together Monte!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
J shifts are vacuum run, where as push button is electrical. Not year specific but rather option specific. I have seen trucks older than mine with the push button and trucks newer with the jshift.
So what is the option specificity? I have never seen this conclusively defined. I have SR5 TRD 01, and mine is J. I test drove others I swaer of the same spec but were I. Maybe I am on crack and they were 02 or even 03.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Sometime after 99, exact year not confirmed and frankly maybe even before, the extra cab rear drive shafts start to show up with smaller u-joints in the Double Cardan (CV). They can be identified by "outside" c-clips.
Not saying they are not up to the job, just saying.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, hey OP, and everyone else....herro...this thread (below) is pretty thorough, but may not touch on some of the finer technical points you are bringing up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ers-guide.html
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
So what is the option specificity? I have never seen this conclusively defined. I have SR5 TRD 01, and mine is J. I test drove others I swaer of the same spec but were I. Maybe I am on crack and they were 02 or even 03.

i think it was auto trannies vs manual mostly. But i think you could just pick if you wanted a J shift or electronic. I have seen both in just about every combination of packages.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #28

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i think it was auto trannies vs manual mostly. But i think you could just pick if you wanted a J shift or electronic. I have seen both in just about every combination of packages.
Everything I test drove was manual. Fuck auto.

It's weird, because they are both on-the-fly, so why would they bother designing and manufacturing 2 systems? How is one more desireable than the other?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #30

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
Yea, that whole transfer case thing is like the "Low Fuel Warning Light". Seems to be hit and miss across the board.
OMG I have the low fuel light AND the low wiper fluid light! That must be why I have a J shifter. Obviously.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Everything I test drove was manual. Fuck auto.

It's weird, because they are both on-the-fly, so why would they bother designing and manufacturing 2 systems? How is one more desireable than the other?

ill take a J shift over push button any day. two less electronic actuator to fail. And they do, both the ADD actuator and T case actuator can fail. Like 400 bucks for a new one.

but some like the convenience i guess of just pushing a button..haha
Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #32

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ill take a J shift over push button any day. two less electronic actuator to fail. And they do, both the ADD actuator and T case actuator can fail. Like 400 bucks for a new one.

but some like the convenience i guess of just pushing a button..haha
Yeah but vaccum lines can fail too. I do agree though, I prefer more mechanical and less electrical in all systems. Yay 01 throttlebody and no ABS! Woot!

Oh, and because ATRAC LOL.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah but vaccum lines can fail too. I do agree though, I prefer more mechanical and less electrical in all systems. Yay 01 throttlebody and no ABS! Woot!

Oh, and because ATRAC LOL.
Yeah you have a good point on what that option is. I should scan through the window sheet from my truck when it was new to see if there is anything mentioned. 01 no abs, no cruise, j shift ftw!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #35
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info guys.

I hate to say it but the little gem i found has two things i am not easily over looking..

1. no abs.

2. to a much bigger extent no passenger air bag.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #37
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I found an 02 access cab 4x4 v6 with the 5 speed. What kinda of mpg can I expect on the hwy. And what's the deal with 2000+ getting a different axle ratio?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #38
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Hey guys I found an 02 access cab 4x4 v6 with the 5 speed. What kinda of mpg can I expect on the hwy. And what's the deal with 2000+ getting a different axle ratio?
up to 02 were throttle by cable, then 03/04 were throttle by wire
Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #39

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
probably about 18-20 mpg
Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #40
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:

wut??

wasn't a different axle ratio..axle ratio has to do with mainly your drive train.

since yours is a 4x4 V6 5 speed. It'll most likely have 4.10s.

hwy will be around 17-22 depending on how your drive, where your driving and gas.