Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen differences?

Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
wut??

wasn't a different axle ratio..axle ratio has to do with mainly your drive train.

since yours is a 4x4 V6 5 speed. It'll most likely have 4.10s.

hwy will be around 17-22 depending on how your drive, where your driving and gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERG80 View Post
2000 Toyota Tacoma: Intermittent windshield wipers became standard, and models with ABS now had daytime running lights. Four-wheel-drive trucks got numerically higher axle ratios for quicker takeoffs.
Assuming they changed from like a 3.73 to 4.10's? how did that effect MPG?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #43
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
3.93s came in prerunner. All 4x4 V6s manual pretty much came with 4.10s. 4 banger manuals came with 4.30s and 4 banger autos came with 4.56s sometimes.

High gear ratios means less strain on the motor. So usually better mpgs.

If you want to know what your truck came with. Use this sheet and the code found in the drivers door

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iidyyk5s3...Axle_Codes.pdf

thank you for the info!!!

alls i know is in the case of my 2500hd chevy with 4.10's i get 12mpg vs my buddy with the same truck with the 3.73 gears getting 16-17..... 12mpg B L O W S!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
are torque converter issues common on the 1st gens. i got a guy with a VERY clean 02 with 130k miles and he is selling it but has it in the shop getting the torque converter replaced because he said it "made noise"
Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #45
so i spoke to the guy and it was not the torque converter but the solenoids in the transmission. Is this a common problem? The torque converter is just being replaced as the transmission is out.

Also price. $11k for 130k miles 02 TRD 4x4 with FJ trail team rims, 265x75 16 BFG's, small lift, brand new timing belt and water pump, new shocks, WHITE access cab with sunroof.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
are torque converter issues common on the 1st gens. i got a guy with a VERY clean 02 with 130k miles and he is selling it but has it in the shop getting the torque converter replaced because he said it "made noise"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
so i spoke to the guy and it was not the torque converter but the solenoids in the transmission. Is this a common problem.

Also price. 11k for 130k miles 02 TRD 4x4 with FJ trail team rims, small lift, brand new timing belt and water pump, new shocks,
I heard that some older RAV 4s had a terrible problem like this, and in some cases it sounded like solenoids, but if they arent' fixed quickly enough, the whole transmisison is fucked. There was a big settlement and replacement program. A friend just missed it nad she had to pay for a whole new tranny.

I haven't heard about the 1st gen Tacomas having issues like this. But then I don't pay attention to auto tranny probs.

If it is "making noise," I wouldn't go near it. Damage is probably already done.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
ok some more details. Spoke to the shop doing the work on the truck

Its P0741 ... so torque converter lock up clutch wasnt locking up, probably due to a solenoid but they are replacing both the torque converter and solenoids.