LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st gen differences?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen differences?

Alright tacomaWorld.... first off. I did some searching and couldnt find anything real conclusive.

Just wanted to know if there is a list of differences over the years of the 1st gen.

At the moment we have a 04 Trd xtended cab 2wd and its been a damn good truck... but i want one of my own and am looking at a 00 TRD 4wd xtended cab... and was wondering if there are any signicant differences as far as motor / running gear.

I really dont think there is, i have been around the toyota world for some time and the good ole 3.4 i dont think has changed since 95.5 haha.

Anyways thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tacoma

Maybe this can help
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Leaf springs are shorter on 97-98 i think.
My o3 came with a factory installed ice cream dispenser, and eject for the co dog seat. both have come in handy.
That is all i got.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
so it looks like possibly a different frame? or is it just due to the slightly different exterior that the truck is longer?

EDIT- and btw... HOLLY SHIT BALLS quick responses. thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Drive train didn't change except for the manual hubs (no longer available in 2001) and manual vs push-button transfer case.

The motor itself change over the years, since 95 had distributor.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
elnip is on a distinguished road
elnip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
Leaf springs are shorter on 97-98 i think.
My o3 came with a factory installed ice cream dispenser, and eject for the co dog seat. both have come in handy.
That is all i got.
95.5-97 had the shorter rear leafs
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
The early 3.4s are harder/more complicated to supercharge. Sorry, I don't know specifics.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
only 95 and 96s won't SC. The ECU's retard the timing causing a major loss in power.

97-04s are good to go. You can swap a ECU from a 97 usually into a 95-96 and be fine.

leafs shorter in 95-97. same length as pre tacomas. 98-04s are 3'' longer.

5vz didn't change at all through the years other then a few getting rid of real throttle cable and some had EGR. early ones also had 1 cat instead of the 2 in 98-04s.

2rzs were still offered in the earlier tacomas but changed to 3rz quickly which did have some differences but not many.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
I am looking at a nice 97 5speed 4x4 with the 2.7 4 banger. anything i should look for in particular?

Also what year did yota introduce the ADD over the factory manual hubs?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
About the only thing to look out for on the 2.7L is if the valve clearance is in spec. Also on the pre 01 2.7L they had a tendon to crack the exhaust manifold. This was changed on 01-04 2.7L to more of a header design and should eliminate the problem.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
check the frame. LBJ, Tie rods, steering rack, U joints, motor oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and coolant levels.

ADD was introduced with the tacoma in 95. If its not manual hubs. Its ADD. Transfer case operation did change from the mechanical J shift to the electronic push button.

also the actuator for ADD changed form Vacuum operation to electronic around 00-01 i believe. Vacuum is a bit more reliable as the actuator has been know to fail on some that are electronic. Yours will be vacuum im sure and a J shift most likely.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
awesome. and one last thing was it the 97 year models that the 2.7L 3RZ-FE moved away from a distributor?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I think '97 is the last year for distributor, but the change-over could have been made late in the '97 year. Easy to see it, if you look under the hood.

ADD has been available since '95 as an option, until 2001, when manual hubs were no longer offered, and ADD was standard.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
i had the guy send me a pic.. definitely not a distributor.... 2 coil packs on the side of the motor. which goes along with the wikipedia article saying that 97 was the year they went away from the cap n rotors.

Also it has manual hubs, which id prefer... less wear on the cv's and less parts to get rotating.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
2rzs were still offered in the earlier tacomas but changed to 3rz quickly which did have some differences but not many.
This is false... I have an 04 with a 2rz. The 2rz went away the same time the 3rz did (now the have the 2tr, still a 2.7l)

Not that it's relevant to the OP. Only other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that there was a minor face lift in 98 and again in 01
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
Pirate
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
check the frame. LBJ, Tie rods, steering rack, U joints, motor oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and coolant levels.

ADD was introduced with the tacoma in 95. If its not manual hubs. Its ADD. Transfer case operation did change from the mechanical J shift to the electronic push button.

also the actuator for ADD changed form Vacuum operation to electronic around 00-01 i believe. Vacuum is a bit more reliable as the actuator has been know to fail on some that are electronic. Yours will be vacuum im sure and a J shift most likely.
J shifts are vacuum run, where as push button is electrical. Not year specific but rather option specific. I have seen trucks older than mine with the push button and trucks newer with the jshift.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Pirate
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
did i just drop a knowledge bomb on monte? today is gonna be a good day.