Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Potential for new plate style bumper. Need some feedback

Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I dig it Scotty!

However I agree just a touch narrower on the corners. Not much.

And even if you out just a back plate behind the winch to help cover the radiator a bit would make it look a lot better I think.

Got any pics of it with a winch? And how would you do light mounts since there is no top center where lights would go..

This totally looks like a old Mossy Rock Fab bumper too kinda. same ideas anyways.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
AddictedOffroad's Tacoma Gallery
We will have it painted and mounted with a winch in the AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I like it, i would like to see it with headlight hoops, and 2 shackle mount points.
I like how open the winch area is, but it's a potential issue for it to be stolen.

Any idea on price?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
Isn't that the point of the winch though? With a winch there its an extremely tight fit and cover 98% of the area in question.

Aluminum would not be an option unless you want to pay 3x the price for it as it would be TIG welded together and 10x longer to weld.
Mig weld the aluminum....

My main concern is how high the winch is above the frame rails.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
Mig weld the aluminum....

My main concern is how high the winch is above the frame rails.
The winch is only 2" above the frame rails. That will never be a problem with this. Its a proven design. Proven for 6yrs now on Toyotas. The winch mount isn't going anywhere.

FWIW, you can't MIG weld aluminum. Or, are you referring to using a spool gun to do it? Besides, aluminum will never happen on any bumper we build. Its not even a thought in our minds.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
Also, looking at this picture i see how wide it is, i'd trim the sides a good bit narrower, a little over half as narrow.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #29
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I like it! But I would prefer to have a little more coverage in the center where the winch goes.

It looks like the sides of the bumper stick out a little to far past the fenders, at least for a truck that is still ifs up front.
x2
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
With glass fenders those sides would match up almost perfectly I bet
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #32
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
glass side on 1st gens aren't flared out right there. Didn't hardly change on mine. has to be like that for the corner lights.
Oh got it.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Here is the finished version of this with an 8000lb winch in it.

So, after reading through a ton of posts on several forums after we asked for feedback, this is what we have come up with.

* We will tuck the sides in a little tighter to the body at the fender line.
* We plan to raise the stinger a couple inches to match the grill line a little more.
* We will have options for a turn signal of some kind
* We will have options for light tabs on the bottom and back of the stinger to run offroad lights there
* To start out, we will not have an option for a body lift. However, we may work that option in at a later date
* Pricing is going to be $749 with the stinger. FWIW, the stinger is an intregal part of the bumper for strength reasons to help support each boxed portion.
* Shipping will be flat rate at $125 to the continental US. This is oversized, so it will not be cheap to ship.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #34
Juan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 91B - Mechanic
Name: Johnny
Juan Solo's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed! Will you be making one for gen 2? If so I will gladly put one on my 2014.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Solo View Post
Subbed! Will you be making one for gen 2? If so I will gladly put one on my 2014.
Eventually, but this type of design will never work on a 120 platform. You have 26" of space between grill and frame.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
We can probably take pre-orders by the end of the week. The nice thing is that we already have the winch mount and mounting crossmember available, so the R&D on the rest shouldn't take long at all. But, we need to build a jig for it.

Unfortunately, this truck is leaving my shop today, so we will need another truck locally to build another one on and then take it and reverse engineer it all.

A 4runner version will be next as we have two in house to work with.

The best part of this also is that the winch mount is designed around 86-95 rigs. So, it will be a seamless transition to have these available for 86-95 IFS rigs as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
what radiator? winch covers it up quite nicely...

looks good all put together
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
i was pointing out that the exposed radiator people were concerned about is covered almost entirely with the winch in there.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
I like it lots and price point is right. Might have to pick one up for the Wife's Tacoma.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
The price is awesome, and I think it'll look great after you tuck in the sides.
Will there be a option for headlight hoops?