Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Potential for new plate style bumper. Need some feedback

Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #61
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
As a DIY kit, pull the front plates out the box when someone orders one laser cut for their particular lights, throw it back in and send it on its way?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #62
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
AddictedOffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
As a DIY kit, pull the front plates out the box when someone orders one laser cut for their particular lights, throw it back in and send it on its way?
The price of each cut triples then on those pieces. Its just not that simple. And, it also moves where gussets can be welded as well. Turn signals are easy because we can use a universal flush mount LED one..

Different fog lights are an issue if people want different things. Not everyone wants to spend $200 on some Rigid fog lights. Nor do they want to spend $19 on some Walmart brand ones.

Altering the design costs time/money/labor. And its actually a lot of it. If the customer wants to pay for that, then its no big deal. But again, I must have the lights in house to be able to fit them.

There is also no chance of me building a DIY kit. Its too easy to copy, and I really don't want to leave the welding of a critical safety device/winch mount up to a novice welder. Even for an experienced welder, its not something I feel comfortable doing.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #63
rodgersted86 is on a distinguished road
rodgersted86's Tacoma Gallery
I love it I think it looks really beefy! Although I would prefer a larger stinger like the ones you can find for the Wranglers. I would definitely be interested in one if a larger stinger would be possible.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #64
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgersted86 View Post
I love it I think it looks really beefy! Although I would prefer a larger stinger like the ones you can find for the Wranglers. I would definitely be interested in one if a larger stinger would be possible.
We are raising the stinger up a couple inches for a full production model. Its not going to be huge though. If you need something bigger than that, maybe its time for a Jeep.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #65
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
subb'd, looks great.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #66
I just opened the pre-ordering on the website. Save $50 when you order before December 1st.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #67
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Mig weld Aluminum

yea no.
i do it all day at work... lol
Old 10-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #68
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
The winch is only 2" above the frame rails. That will never be a problem with this. Its a proven design. Proven for 6yrs now on Toyotas. The winch mount isn't going anywhere.

FWIW, you can't MIG weld aluminum. Or, are you referring to using a spool gun to do it? Besides, aluminum will never happen on any bumper we build. Its not even a thought in our minds.
I am a certified welder, yes you can use a mig welder with a spool gun to weld aluminium. Aluminium is a awesome material if you engineered the bumper and had quality welders you can make a awesome product.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
I am a certified welder, yes you can use a mig welder with a spool gun to weld aluminium. Aluminium is a awesome material if you engineered the bumper and had quality welders you can make a awesome product.
Then you know that is NOT the right way to weld up a bumper. Its a dirty, nasty weld with a spool gun not to mention the amount of spatter that ruins the metal. Plain and simple is that building a bumper out of aluminum without TIG welding it is doing it right.

I will stick with steel for bumper that see abuse. It will be cheaper and will hold up better IMO.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #70
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Denver. You can use my 2004 Tacoma for testing your new bumper. Have at it!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #71
Quote:
Then you know that is NOT the right way to weld up a bumper. Its a dirty, nasty weld with a spool gun not to mention the amount of spatter that ruins the metal. Plain and simple is that building a bumper out of aluminum without TIG welding it is doing it right.

I will stick with steel for bumper that see abuse. It will be cheaper and will hold up better IMO.
No no i agree it is not the "best" for welding aluminium. It is the best way to do production work and most of the aluminium bumpers on the market are usually spooled. when i weld aluminium like storage boxes and stuff like that, as long as you use high quality material and are proficient on a spool gun the spatter disappears and dirty welds are almost non existent. I imagine you have a degree in welding technology so you know as i do GTAW is the best for aluminium.

Steel is defiantly a stronger and cheaper to build bumper. But also much heavier
Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #72
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No no i agree it is not the "best" for welding aluminium. It is the best way to do production work and most of the aluminium bumpers on the market are usually spooled. when i weld aluminium like storage boxes and stuff like that, as long as you use high quality material and are proficient on a spool gun the spatter disappears and dirty welds are almost non existent. I imagine you have a degree in welding technology so you know as i do GTAW is the best for aluminium.

Steel is defiantly a stronger and cheaper to build bumper. But also much heavier
Eric at relentless and Tim at elite TIG their aluminum bumpers.

Idk of anyone else that offers aluminum bumpers other then like Aluminus or whatever. And they TIG I bet too.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Eric at relentless and Tim at elite TIG their aluminum bumpers.

Idk of anyone else that offers aluminum bumpers other then like Aluminus or whatever. And they TIG I bet too.
You might want to re ask Eric about how he welds the aluminium bumpers...

Eric said his bumpers were welding using GMAW with a spool gun because it is cost effective and saves more time. I looked into other bumpers on the market and it looks like none are actually GTAW. It is to time consuming and the skill level needed to run a good bead with GTAW on aluminium.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #74
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Love the bumper Scotty. It should be a big hit for sure. I probably would have chosen this bumper instead of your tube bumper if it was available at the time. It's a sleek design.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #75
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Love the bumper Scotty. It should be a big hit for sure. I probably would have chosen this bumper instead of your tube bumper if it was available at the time. It's a sleek design.
x2. I think people will buy this. It's different (in a good way), and looks like it will work well. GL!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #76
Quote:
You might want to re ask Eric about how he welds the aluminium bumpers...

Eric said his bumpers were welding using GMAW with a spool gun because it is cost effective and saves more time. I looked into other bumpers on the market and it looks like none are actually GTAW. It is to time consuming and the skill level needed to run a good bead with GTAW on aluminium.
Its honestly a moot point as this bumper will never be designed for aluminum. We are a rockcrawler based shop for the most part. And, I just do not see an aluminum bumper holding up to abuses we will put it though.

This bumper only weighs 70lbs, so the weight savings would be minimal at best given that it would cost 3x more for aluminum to be able to produce it.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #77
Quote:
Its honestly a moot point as this bumper will never be designed for aluminum. We are a rockcrawler based shop for the most part. And, I just do not see an aluminum bumper holding up to abuses we will put it though.

This bumper only weighs 70lbs, so the weight savings would be minimal at best given that it would cost 3x more for aluminum to be able to produce it.
i understand.if you were a shop that did other stuff for mall crawlers it would be more feasible but you guys are aimed to people that actually use and abuse there trucks. i completely understand.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #78
Quote:
i understand.if you were a shop that did other stuff for mall crawlers it would be more feasible but you guys are aimed to people that actually use and abuse there trucks. i completely understand.
Yeah, we are definitely not a mall crawler type of shop.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #79
We should have an updated version of this bumper this coming week. Stay tuned........
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #80
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, we are definitely not a mall crawler type of shop.
x2