Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camshaft sheared the key help please

Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedogcards View Post
... my sister does not know alot about engins and stuff like that ...
Well, neither does her son and his friends. I hope she's taking to a reputable shop to have it looked at.

Sounds to me like she needs a new PS pump body (including pulley) and belt. Its a relatively easy job, but the PS body is a bit pricey. They usually are sold without the reservoir, so that the old reservoir can be transferred.

Hard to believe the PS pulley came off, if thats what happened. Those things are on there real tight.

I looked at Rockauto.com, and it looks like the pumps are sold without the pulley or pulley nut either. Appears to have a spline, so there may not be a key.

Her best bet may be to get a used one from a wrecker, and have a shop willing to install it. 4-cyl pumps are different from 6-cyl pumps. On the other hand, if the pulley came off cleanly, maybe all she needs is the pulley, pulley bolt and belt. Without photos of the engine bay, we are only just guessing at the real problem.
]
Good luck
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I was thinking, Rick. There is no key on PS pump pulley, it's splined. So, the only other key would be the crankshaft pulley. If it was the camshaft pulley key, it definitely would'nt run or have anything to do with the P/S not working either way.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Bluedogcards is on a distinguished road
Air Force: transportation
Name: Eric
Bluedogcards's Tacoma Gallery
they are saying it it the harmonic balancer it is a simple fix or tear the engine apart
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
If the key way on the crank is messed up the crankshaft needs to be replaced. That means pulling the engine and doing a full tear down. Might be cheaper to find a used engine if you don't do the labor.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Like Steven said it depends on how bad the crankshaft is chewed up. The key is meant shear off if there's a problem. A new pulley won't be too bad. But a new crankshaft + labor is a lot of $$$$, Good Luck, Eric.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
well if going to cost to much truck will be for sale as is

thank all for all the comments
Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #28
Robnik. great pic i see how this could be a problem, what would make that bolt back out , maybe today will get the true cost form the mach.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
If someone replaced the timing belt & did'nt torque it down to 217 ft-lbs, which is quite high. My torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft-lbs, so you really have to jam it on there or maybe they forgot to tighten it at all.
Here's a picture of what someone had to do to remove the bolt on a Honda:
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #30
is there any other reason for it to come off, the only thing i have had done to it was a trans rebuild really not thinking there should be no reason for them to be on the front of the engine but never know
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #31
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Are you the original owner, because if that timing belt has'nt been changed in 12 years, it should be. That bolt is really on there from the factory. I've seen some that won't even budge w/ an impact wrench.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #32
got it used, Sis just tested me truck will be ready today less then 200.00 glad to hear that, she is happy just wan't to give a big thank to you all for all the help and comments she will be coming home next week ya
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #33
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear it too, Eric Just make sure you get a good mechanic to give it a good once over when she get's back. A $5.00 problem can be exponentially escalated. P.M. me if it's anything else.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #34
Well knowing my sister she did not give me all the info yes she got her truck back not fixed the crank is bad on it, looking at dropping another engine in it did some seaching they are not bad about 1600.00 to 2000.00 plus the cost to swap it out would do it myself but been 20 plus years since a did an engine swap, not to get her home and somehow get the truck home if can't find someone there to do the work.