Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is the Tacoma a young man's truck.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
97widerider is on a distinguished road
97widerider's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Tacoma a young man's truck.

It seems that Tacomas appeal more to the younger generation, 20s and 30s, than any other. I am in my 40s and although love my truck, sometimes feel like I look like I am going through a mid life crisis. Maybe because it is so sporty with the TRD package an all. It more than serves my purpose, except trying to squeeze three kids in it, so what should I care, right?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
The guy that really got me interested in the taco's will be 68 this year.....he loves his 07 access cab but really wishes he had the double cab once I got mine! No matter the age is a good choice!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Live young while you can!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I do think the 2nd gen Taco is more marketed towards a younger group. Things like the red interior lighting ect. make me think this. Just a thought though.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
In Auburn, AL alot of 20-40 year old people drive Tacos.

There's (including my truck) about 4 Tacomas(both 1st. and 2nd Gen), 1 Tundra, and 2 FJs. The rest are Chevys and Fords.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I do think the 2nd gen Taco is more marketed towards a younger group. Things like the red interior lighting ect. make me think this. Just a thought though.
First gens have a red dash also.

It might seems to be a young persons truck because we (I'm 19) grew up right as technology was revolutionizing how everybody lived. Older folks will buy domestic vehicles because thats what they had growing up and it's all they knew. they'd see any import as inferior, because when they were growing up, those imports WERE inferior.

Now with the internet theres places like this that people come to that realize that hey, those imports aren't inferior and are actually superior to other vehicles.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
First gens have a red dash also.

It might seems to be a young persons truck because we (I'm 19) grew up right as technology was revolutionizing how everybody lived. Older folks will buy domestic vehicles because thats what they had growing up and it's all they knew. they'd see any import as inferior, because when they were growing up, those imports WERE inferior.

Now with the internet theres places like this that people come to that realize that hey, those imports aren't inferior and are actually superior to other vehicles.
Hmmmmm.....lot's of stereotypically incorrect statements popping up in this thread.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
mytaco99 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Fleet Manager
mytaco99's Tacoma Gallery
To me the Taco is a pratical and economical truck. I could see a mid-life crisis if the vehicle was a honda civic with stickers pasted all over it and a huge fart can hanging out the back. No matter the age, anyone wants the best bang for the buck and that is what the Taco is all about.

Steve
Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytaco99 View Post
To me the Taco is a pratical and economical truck. I could see a mid-life crisis if the vehicle was a honda civic with stickers pasted all over it and a huge fart can hanging out the back. No matter the age, anyone wants the best bang for the buck and that is what the Taco is all about.

Steve
:thumb sup:
Old 03-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
theres a ton of older guys where i live that drive taco's, 1 guy in his 80's, just bought another 1, to have just in case they 1 he drives now goes capoot on him. he just leaves it in a barn, from what my dad has told me!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i notice many people who are older (45+) driving tacos, i feel too young to be driving mine sometimes!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
Fly5465 is on a distinguished road
Fly5465's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my 1st gen Tacoma a week ago and I'm well over 40, but less than 50. Ha, ha....

I bought this truck because I like the smaller size of the pre 2005 trucks, including Tacoma and Nissan. I chose the 2001~2004 Tacoma because of size and it has the most ground clearence and I could get the factory locker.

Years ago I had bought a new 1981 Toyota 4X4, it was a great truck too.

Dale - Arizona
Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 57 and bought my TACO back in 1995...I still look like a stud when I drive it around town...(or so my wife tells me). But if you feel to old to drive a Taco load up a dog (I have 5) and roll the window down when you pull up next to a babe at a traffic lite and see if they care how old you are...and it it's and old dog (like Molly) you'll get more women than you care to talk with you....

Oh yeah...I'm a dirty old man...bring the young babes on....(that would be those women in their 40's)
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
I see people of all ages, genders and ethnic backgrounds driving Tacomas. Its a vehicle that appeals to wide range of people.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
When I was about 14 yrs old, I looked at the Tacoma as such a badass truck. The 1st gen's have a stance that is one of a kind - like it's ready to attack you or something. And when modified, they can handle just about anything. I wanted one sooo bad!

Now, I'm 30 and have a 2yr old daughter. I looked at many different trucks but concluded with a 2nd gen Taco because it is small enough to handle in the city, large enough for my needs and tough enough if I need to get into the woods. No other trucks satisfied my needs like the Taco.

It has been said and may be steroeotypical but I know a lot of older people who drive trucks that would NEVER buy "Jap-Scrap". These same people would NEVER be on TacomaWorld.com (or any other website) researching a new part to buy for their truck. The younger generation is more likely to buy outside of Detroit (and are rewarded handsomely for doing so ). I think this has a lot to do with why the older generation of TRUCK OWNERS are not driving Tacoma's.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I live in a SMALL town (26000 ppl)

There's 3 Tacoma owners on this site from here
I see TONS of 2nd gen Tacomas in town..........at least 3 blue ones like mine
I see older, younger, women, men all driving them.

I swore I wanted a 2008 Ford F150 Crew Cab Fx4.....SWORE!

Then I saw a blue quad cab tacoma in town & knew what I wanted......researched like hell on the internet & bought one over the phone at the nearest dealer (70 miles away)

My OPNION is the "American" brands quality has gone down the tubes. THe Toyotas, Hondas etc have shown their superiority in customer satisfaction, quality, price etc and EVERYONE (even my die hard AMERICAN ONLY neighbor that bought an Accord for his wife 2 months ago) is taking notice...young or old.

The reason "older folks" probably don't buy them is they were raised on brand loyalty and that was FORD, DODGE, CHEVY in their generation. (My dad is STILL a hard core Chevy man and always will be). So I don't see them marketed to the younger crowd....just the older crowd is a little more set in there ways.

(Man that post was ALOT longer than I planned!)
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Remember the recent Chevy commercial with the truck that drives through generations. I think it was a Super Bowl commercial at one point.

That is marketing to the older generations.

Look at the Taco commercials with the large monster trying to eat it and the video of it falling off the cliff. It appeals to the "YouTubers" who watch viral videos online...definitely a younger crowd.