1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cool weather start up knock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AzFireman, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Oct 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    AzFireman

AzFireman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Double Cab
    Hey guys. First time posting but I have spent numerous hours reading through the forums. This place came in handy when I did my 5100's and new rear leafs.....I have an 04 DC with a 3.4L. It has about 125K miles. I park my truck outside over night and on some of the cooler mornings I get a knock when I first start it. It only last a few seconds. I have never heard the knock any other time. I am currently running Mobil1 5w-30 with a Wix filter, but I have tried Valvoline full synthetic in 5w-30 and 10w-30. It doesn't matter what oil I run, I still get the knock when I start it on cold mornings. I am only talking about 50° or colder, so not very cold. I really don't think it is a main or rod bearing. Is there something else it may be?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Oct 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma sr5
    Hello I get the same problem here in colorado. I take my toyota to a shop that used Mobil oil not synthetic and caused some sludge in the engine. Mine started around 70k . I switched to synthetic oil and use a quart of Lucas synthetic stabilizer and it seems to help. I think mine is a hung up lifter. Got 104k on it now. I just get use to it. Hope it helps.

3. Oct 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    FWIW.....

I owned a 96 many many years ago. I switched to Mobile 1 at 60,000 miles and ran that until I sold the truck 5 years later at 110,000 miles.

I would also get the 'lifter tap' from time to time. From what I understand...the hydraulic lifters lose pressure. At startup, you get the tap until the hydraulic pressure builds up again. The longer the truck sits...the more often it would occur (for me anyway).

4. Oct 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Try switching to a factory OEM oil filter. They have an anti-drainback check valve that is supposed to prevent this. Not sure if your WIX does.

5. Oct 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    '96 here just turned over 214,000. Has had the cold morning startup tick/knock for the last 100,000 or so. It's just hydraulic lifters draining down and cold oil doesn't pump as fast as warm oil. Clearances increase over time and that's what you're hearing. It can be disconcerting to hear it, if it goes away fairly quick I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep good quality oil in it and don't switch between brands.

An old fashioned heater magnet on the oil pan bottom will help if it really bothers you.

6. Oct 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    AzFireman

AzFireman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Double Cab
    Thanks for the info. I read in another post that someone else had the same problem until they switched back to the factory oil filter. I think you are correct about it being a lifter. I'll keep running full synthetic and switch to Toyota filters. I'll let you know if the new filter helps.

Thanks again.

7. Oct 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The anti-drainback valve is just a silicone gasket with a wide flange that acts as a flapper. Pretty much every oil filter (including the cheaply built Fram) has it. See:

[​IMG]

However, switching to OEM filter is still valid, because the bypass valve setting could be too high on an aftermarket filter, which could potentially mean reduced flow at startup, when the cold oil is really thick.

Products Discussed in

To Top