1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Flush 2001 1st Gen Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zacharypaul89, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Oct 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL
    All I did was drain and fill 4 times in a row.
    drain, fill , drive, drain , fill, drive etc Did the same procedure for the PS Fluid.

I used Wallyworld DexIII @ $11.97 a gallon

Got it done for $50. Nice and bright pink now.

Next time I will get the flush (with Valvoline) because there is only 19700 miles on her...

I would not flush a high mileage AT...

2. Oct 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    Twisted99

Twisted99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gold Canyon, AZ
    Same here. I had a chance to buy a used one a few years ago and passed on it :mad:

3. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Smardt Turbocor

Smardt Turbocor Older Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    Lexington South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 1/2 cab 4.6 Liter V-6 5 speed manual
    ================

It's like this. Once all torque convertors had a drain plug. Then the manufacturers took them out "to save money". In the transmission shop where I worked in Montreal, we drilled a 1/8" inch hole in the bottom and after the fluid was drained we cleaned the area and inserted a STEEL 1/8" rivet with epoxy to seal the hole. Trust me, no leaks afterwards.

You also could have drilled out the hole and tapped it to retain a square plug. It costs $$ to drill holes and put plugs in them. Any shavings on the inside were trapped in the outside of the torque converter. Yes !

So, almost nobody drains the torque converter separately, anymore. Total system flushing is fine if the fluid is brown or black, BUT YOU MUST DROP THE PAN AND CHANGE THE FILTER AT THE SAME TIME. Why ? because fresh, new fluid is highly detergent and will scour the interior of the transmission like soap on kitchen dishes. Everything breaks loose.

BUT partial changes are also good. Remember, if you are using PREMIUM fluid, you are renewing additives.

Just change the fluid ( especially if it is brown or black every year or two until the fluid is bright red like the original. (Tip: that renews seals)

Other than that, you are arguing whether the right or left wing of an aircraft is more important in flight.

4. Nov 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    zacharypaul89

zacharypaul89 [OP] Eat right, be fit, die anyway

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Trd Offroad
    Rep'd buddy. Dropping some transmission knowledge on our asses!

Products Discussed in

To Top