1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad jerk if I don't feather the pedal????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TTBlues, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Oct 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    TTBlues

TTBlues [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock
    I'm trying to troubleshoot a jerking problem. I have a 1999 V6 automatic.

If i push the gas pedal in deep, too quickly, or if I let it off too quickly (from deep in), there is a single violent jerk and then all is good.

It's strength seems to be speed dependent. The faster I am going, the stronger it is.

It is worse on inclines.

If I feather the pedal it is not present.

It is stronger if the trans has to downshift. I notice it most when I am trying to pass someone on the highway.

It feels like something is taking a second or so to lock up. Most of the automatics I have driven have done this to some extent, but it is very exaggerated in this truck.

My thinking is:

driveshaft
    transmission
    mounts

Maybe some slop in the driveshaft that takes a second to lock up. I've checked and can't find any, but I don't honestly know what I am looking for. I've just been turning it by hand at the various joints to see if there is any noticeable play

If it's the transmission, it seems fine otherwise. There isn't any slipping. I bought the truck 6 months ago and had all the fluids changed. The problem has been becoming more noticeable since then. I just changed the trans fluid last week and discovered it has been over-filled for at least 6 months. I don't know if they are related, but like I said, the trans seems fine other wise.

Maybe trans or motor mounts? How do I check them?

Is there something else I'm not considering?

I appreciate any help.

2. Oct 16, 2013 at 3:43 AM
    snyper96799

snyper96799 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yon
    American Samoa
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma lifted
    6inch trailmaster, deckplate, custom halo lights, 18inch sub w/ 3000 watt amp, minor interior mods
    i would say its your trans. double check fluid levels, are remeber to check it while its running. was there and metal shavings when you changed the fluids?

3. Oct 16, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    I would have someone look at your tranny. Mine was doing that and i was able to feather it, some days were better than others. But in the end it left me stranded on the side of the Hwy. No warning or anything. Got a Jasper remanufactured tranny put in at the cost of 3k

4. Oct 16, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    For the cost of the tow truck you'll need when you are "testing" breaks the truck you can have new driveshaft u-joints and/or center bearing installed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would start with the basics first . Grab a pry bar and start checking the motor mounts and transmission mounts , rear springs , hanger bearing mount etc .99% of the time the issue is visible .
    If you have the back wheels off the ground , you can check the play in the rear diff .
    Is the problem noticeable in 4x4 ? is it noticeable in 4x4 low ?
    Have you been under the truck to have a look ?
    How long has this been happening ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Oct 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    TTBlues

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock
    I didin't see any metal shavings. But the fluid didn't look good either (a little burnt, brownish, murky). I switched to synthetic and have checked the level quite a few times since the switch. But it was overfilled for about 6 months (10k miles) with Dino, before this recent switch. Changing to synthetic and having the right level has made the the trans feel MUCH better overall, but the jerk I'm trying to diagnose seems unaffected by the change.

7. Oct 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    TTBlues

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock
    By rear springs, do you mean the leaf springs? If so, I can tell you there are shot and need to be replaced. It's on my list. I know that shot leafs can cause the dreaded 'axle wrap' jerk when coming to a stop or taking off, but could they also cause a jerk at all speeds, with a more pronounced one at higher speeds?

It's not noticeable in 4L as I don't use 4L unless I'm under 10MPH.
    The same is really true with 4H. I don't use 4H that much but when I do, I'm usually under 25 mph and even in 2H, the jerk is not very noticeable at that low a speed.

I've looked under the truck quite a bit. I'm just not sure what I'm looking for with this one.

I didn't really notice it until about 2.5 months ago when on a long trip through the hills. I was trying to pass someone and when I hit the gas it happened. Then I noticed it there when I let off the gas too quickly.

8. Oct 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    TTBlues

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock

Products Discussed in

To Top