Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LT AXELS???

Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
bruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant future

EMS: EMT/FireFighter
Name: Brian
bruth's Tacoma Gallery
LT AXELS???

Hey everyone so I just baught my first 1st gen Tacoma and just ordered a total chaos long travel kit and I was wondering if anyone has ideas of what axels I should run!???? The total chaos ones are amazing... But almost $1000 does anyone know what I can run? I heard tundra axels, but the. The tundra cv axels will break so it needs new cv joints on tundra axels???? Please help!!!?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
for the first gen Tacoma +3.5 LT kits, it's my understanding as long as you dont have the manual front hubs you can just order up and run the stock Tundra CVs from a similar year tundra (1st gen Tundy).
That said, I've also seen that there needs to be a little bit of grinding on the lip of the inner CV cup to allow full travel of the LT kit without CV bind.
Tundra axles are cheap, just run the stock replacements and save your $$ IMO! If they break on occasion, well you can buy a lot of sets for the price difference IMO!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
for the first gen Tacoma +3.5 LT kits, it's my understanding as long as you dont have the manual front hubs you can just order up and run the stock Tundra CVs from a similar year tundra (1st gen Tundy).
That said, I've also seen that there needs to be a little bit of grinding on the lip of the inner CV cup to allow full travel of the LT kit without CV bind.
Tundra axles are cheap, just run the stock replacements and save your $$ IMO! If they break on occasion, well you can buy a lot of sets for the price difference IMO!
Listen to this guy ^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Nailed it Eric.

Get tundra axles. Grind the inner cup and get high clearance 930 boots for them and your good.

WAIT

Your a 2nd gen..go ask them I think you need custom axles.
Monte, go to bed, he bought a 1st gen and ordered LT for said Truck.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
bruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant futurebruth has a brilliant future

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are awesome!!!! I will try to look up some pics of someone doing that and yes I converted to 1st gen are you guys proud hahaha I can't wait to get started on my new project now tires, fiberglass, and shocks!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruth View Post
You guys are awesome!!!! I will try to look up some pics of someone doing that and yes I converted to 1st gen are you guys proud hahaha I can't wait to get started on my new project now tires, fiberglass, and shocks!!!

Yeah we're proud of you for upgrading to a superior truck, start a build thread for it, let us know the progress.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post

Yeah we're proud of you for upgrading to a superior truck, start a build thread for it, let us know the progress.
I will man thanks so far... Plastidip emblems and chrome bahahaha... LT IS BEIG SHIPPED AND BUYING TIRES TODAY!!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
curious if you have manual hubs can you not run stock tundra axles?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
curious if you have manual hubs can you not run stock tundra axles?
I believe the manual hubs have a different spline count than the auto/tundra hubs.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #12

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad I got the auto then... Feel bad bout the manual hub guys going for LT... But it is probly still Cheeper to go to an axel shop and get something put together than total chaos 900$ axels ya know... I can't wait to get my total chaos LT on my truck, but they told me they literally buy Toyota oem tundra axels and cups and cut them and get high angle boots and then $900 dollars later you have their kit!! I got a local shop that I'm going to tomorrow that is selling me tundra axels built with cvs. For $50 a pop and all I gotta do I grind down the cups and get the boots that are very affordable!!! If your in NorCal an in my situation let me know!! Pics will be up when I get the axels!!!
Brian
Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
so are thousand dollar axles your only option for manual hub tacomas? wondering if there is a manual hub conversion for a tundra you could adapt to a tacoma?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #15

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it's can help you I have been doing lots of research the past week!!! I just baught 4 tundra axels with cv's together for $200!!! Pics to come
Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #16

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
Axel solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
so are thousand dollar axles your only option for manual hub tacomas? wondering if there is a manual hub conversion for a tundra you could adapt to a tacoma?
Wolfgang123 go to this link

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/p...roject669.html

.it is exactly what I'm doing and it explains the manual hubs as well!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #18

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure they are the tundra axels man I could totally be wrong but the tundra axels are the constant velocity axels and they are identical to those in the pic ill post a pic of mine... I do know tht you need the hub conversion tho for your hubs and like with mine I have to cut down the cv cups but I would look into that link and others I just googled notified tundra axels an I got a few good links! I hope it is as simple for you as I think hahahaha good luck tho! I will be posting pics if my axel progress here in this forum, but our set up should be the exact same EXCEPT you have to do the hub conversion!
Respectfully
Brian
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #19

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
And it begins!!
Attached Thumbnails
LT AXELS???-image.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #20

bruth's Tacoma Gallery
More pics
Attached Thumbnails
LT AXELS???-image.jpg