1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Greetings and Oil Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DaBod, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    DaBod

DaBod [OP] Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Off-Road
    Hi All,

I've lurked around this forum for quite some time and finally decided to join. Thanks very much for sharing all of the wisdom, and thanks in advance for tolerating any dumb/newbie questions I may have.

For years I have been taking my Taco to an import shop for oil changes. I am not sure why, as I have changed oil on everything from boats to helicopters, but taking the truck in for some reason gave me peace of mind. Now it is time for an oil change and quite frankly, I no longer feel like paying someone a decent chunk of change for something I can do myself.

I've searched these forums and haven't found the exact answer to my question (I apologized if I missed it somewhere, or if this is in the wrong place), so here goes. This import shop uses BG oil products and has always put BG 0w-30 in my truck. I am in Oklahoma and although winters can sometimes be a little cold, they are generally pretty mild. Is there a reason I should continue with 0w-30, or will an AMSOIL or M1 5w-30 be fine? If it makes any difference, it is a supercharged 3.4l with 187k miles.

Thanks!

2. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I don't think M1 5w30 would hurt the engine at all, plenty of tacos here from Florida to Washington are running it.

Products Discussed in

To Top