Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Steering wheel feels too "free" at highway speed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Forcing me to spend more money! When I get my 33s I guess I will get another alignment and have them do 3*.
You lifted on stock UCA's? You're going to need aftermarket UCA's if you want that much caster, the techs can't get both your camber and caster in spec because of the lack of adjust-ability at the upper ball joint.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
You lifted on stock UCA's? You're going to need aftermarket UCA's if you want that much caster, the techs can't get both your camber and caster in spec because of the lack of adjust-ability at the upper ball joint.
Yeah. Guess I will just live with it until I get new uppers.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
TheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud of
TheCookieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
try replacing the sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones easy and cheap to do in your driveway,it helped my truck feel tighter even after I replaced the rack bushings it felt loose. Your steering rack is bad only if it leaks steering fluid all over .
Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
try replacing the sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones easy and cheap to do in your driveway,it helped my truck feel tighter even after I replaced the rack bushings it felt loose. Your steering rack is bad only if it leaks steering fluid all over .
Sway bar bushings would help the truck react faster to steering inputs which does make it feel tighter, but they wouldn't change the way the steering itself feels at all.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
TheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud ofTheCookieMonster has much to be proud of
TheCookieMonster's Tacoma Gallery
1st GEN Toyota trucks always have had a very sensitive front end once you start adding on lift kits and 33 inch tires it amplifies the loose steering wheel feeling
Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
braaap

Quote:
1st GEN Toyota trucks always have had a very sensitive front end once you start adding on lift kits and 33 inch tires it amplifies the loose steering wheel feeling
Yes because you can't get the caster in spec with a lift unless you get aftermarket UCA's.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took the sway bar off. Might put it back on for winter though.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
You need more caster if you want a more solid wheel at speed, simple as that. Try and get that closer to 3*.

What makes you say that? Have you already welded the slip joint and made sure your tie rods are good?
Because when you turn the wheel back and forth you can feel and hear the lash in the rack. Tie rods and all steering components are good. The loose steering has gotten worse over the last year. Also a small leak on the left side, noticed it when i pulled the bellow's off to check tie rods.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
From your gallery photo on Oct 5, you installed wide wheel spacers? This effectively increases the tire's leverage over the front suspension kingpin axis and can cause the looseness you feel at speed. Look up "scrub radius" in the suspension design books if you are interested to learn more.

To compensate, get an alignment and dial in a small amount of toe-in, and get as much caster as possible without screwing up camber.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I thought that was just part of the beast when lifting and getting wider tires?
I'm still rolling on stock tires. I've been lifted since June and it wasn't this bad until recently.

And yes, just did wheel spacers and now I get issues.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #34
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Same problem here. Was terrible before I lifted it. After lifting I changed rack bushings and tie rod ends while getting an alignment. Felt great for about a week and it's just as bad as it was before. Driving with any sort of wind is almost scary. Eve Driving without wind makes me look drunk I bet
Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm still rolling on stock tires. I've been lifted since June and it wasn't this bad until recently.

And yes, just did wheel spacers and now I get issues.
Well that explains it. If you engage 4H on pavement, you should also see more torque steer, again because the tires now have more authority.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #36
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Same problem here. Was terrible before I lifted it. After lifting I changed rack bushings and tie rod ends while getting an alignment. Felt great for about a week and it's just as bad as it was before. Driving with any sort of wind is almost scary. Eve Driving without wind makes me look drunk I bet
Wow, that doesn't sound safe/fun haha

Mine was fine, a little less control after the lift, then more walking after the bigger tires. Now that I've been on a lot of trails, rocks, and a couple jumps I need to replace my tie-rods...
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #37
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Forcing me to spend more money! When I get my 33s I guess I will get another alignment and have them do 3*.
Caster, caster and more caster.

And don't let the alignment tech tell you it's in spec at 1.6-1.7*. Those specs apply to a non-lifted Tacoma. 3 degrees of caster will give you that heavy steering wheel feel and you'll actually be able to safely let go of the wheel or take you eyes off the road for a moment.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #38
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
These are my most recent alignment specs. As close as they could get with the frozen tie-rod. Opinions?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #39
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like I can't get 3* with stock ball joints.

Guess I'll have to trade a full set of skid plates for some UCAs once I get my transfer skid all figured out.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
These are my most recent alignment specs. As close as they could get with the frozen tie-rod. Opinions?
The caster is about as good as you can get with stock UCAs. Is the steering twitchy at highway speeds? The toe is a little off if its in the red. This might be a result of the tech trying to get as high a caster as possible at the cost of the other two settings.

The toe setting has the biggest impact on tire wear.

Products Discussed in this Thread